Thursday, January 17, 2008

Dog poem - Author Unknown

Connie sent this to me today and it reminds me how some people just can't understand the relationship with our dogs. They don't understand these aren't just "pets" to us, they are a huge part of our lives. (Yes, my dogs all live in the house!!) We spend time training them, (more time than most people spend with their kids and they wonder why the world is like it is??) spend hundreds of dollars on entry fees (and try to forget about that part!!) travel hundreds of miles with them every year (yes, hotels DO take dogs or we don't stay there!) They are not only our companions, they are our TEAM MATES!! (and the mess ups are usually the human's fault!!) Along the way we build friendships with other humans (wow, imagine that!) and their canine companions near and far. Those relationships are amazing! We laugh and cry together. We understand each other. It's a kind of a "canine religion" where we all understand how to use a poop baggie and hold 3 leashes, manage a clicker, treats and throw a dumbbell (well, most of us do anyway). We have wonderful stories to share and most of those stories only our dog friends would understand. So, here's to my dear friends and all our canine companions!!

My dogs live here, they're here to stay.
you don't like pets, be on your way.
they share my home, my food, my space
this is their home, this is their place.

You will find dog hair on the floor,
they will alert you're at the door.
they may request a little pat,
a simple 'no' will settle that.

It gripes me when I hear you say
'just how is it you live this way?
they smell, they shed, they're in the way..'
WHO ASKED YOU? is all I can say..

They love me more than anyone,
my voice is like the rising sun,
they merely have to hear me say
'C'mon , time to go and play'.

Then tails wag and faces grin,
they bounce and hop and make a din.
They never say 'no time for you',
they're always there, to GO and DO.

And if I'm sad? They're by my side
and if I'm mad? they circle wide
and if I laugh, they laugh with me
they understand, they always see.

So once again, I say to you
come visit me, but know this too..

My dogs live here, they're here to stay.
you don't like pets, be on your way.
they share my home, my food, my space
this is their home, this is their place..

No comments: