Sunday, January 27, 2008

Busy SUNDAY!!!

It was suppose to get nice and warm today, 37 degrees!! So I wanted to be sure to take advantage of the nice weather while we had it. This morning however it was still pretty chilly, so I completed a couple scrapbook pages and listened to the play "Sweeney Todd" for the 3rd time in 3 days. G

Finally it was in the low 20's so I went out to bring the ponies in and FINALLY work with them after a 6 week respite. So I put on Adam's English saddle and we headed East. Just a 3 mile ride or so as he's been idle so long he's bit out of shape. Saphira just got a little "long Line" work in the snow as I'm suppose to avoid dust for a month and I guess that's the same thing as the dirt? At least that's what Bill told me. So finished up with the ponies and now it's time to run outside!

First I had to decide what to wear. I've never run outside before and I don't have any of those cool runner's tights (of this the neighbors are pleased about I'm sure!!!) So I settled on cuddle dud bottoms and top. Red sweat pant bottoms with my orange "STATE PRISON" hoodie. NEW WHITE running shoes with orange highlights and one FLUORESCENT orange shoe string (Seeker chewed the original white one off) Little red gloves and a black hat and head band. To top this all off I added a 6' leash with a new orange collar attached to an almost 8 month old Border Collie puppy. Out the door we go!!

I tell Sal, okay, we're heading West and to the Norway Blacktop. (should be a little over 3 miles round trip). If we're not back in 30 minutes then you need to send the "meat wagon" for us. (AKA - jump in the van and come pick us up). Yep, I sure will.....was his response. I was pretty sure he'd come since I had his puppy after all. So Seeker and I take off at a nice brisk walk. I have the leash tied to my waist so I don't have to hold it and he's doing great.

We'd walk/run/walk/run. It was nice being off of the treadmill and actually outside. I'd set some land marks to run to and then do some walking to the next landmark. I tried to take advantage of the "down hill" parts to run on and walk on the up hill sections. (I wasn't born yesterday!!!) Of course it didn't always work out that way and I got to thinking whomever thinks this state is FLAT needs to come run with me some time. So as we're getting closer to our 1/2 point I'm starting to wonder what the heck was I thinking!!!! Then I remember Seeker's new little orange collar that has our cell phone number on it. Isn't that nice. Too bad the cell phone is in my work bag and turned OFF!! I have to laugh at myself some times. Okay....a LOT! But we made it to the stop sign and headed back home. (Still no Sal, so we must be doing okay)

I now have a better appreciation for how Adam feels when we turn around to come home. You have a renewed burst of energy. I guess I'm a little barn sour too! G So we did some "fartlicking" and ran as fast as I could for short distances (they seemed long to me!!) Seeker had to gallop to keep up, so that made me feel pretty good. I was starting to really get thirsty and I hadn't thought to bring any water. I just needed something to remove the dryness in my mouth. Oh what the heck, I grabbed a handful of snow from the ditch, (kind of dusty -but not yellow) and took a bite. I just rinsed a bit and spit.

Needless to say, we made it back and I was so pleased that we must have done it in under 30 minutes. NO WAY!!! WOW!!! Sal is just heading to the van. What time is it, I holler. "I don't know??" is his reply. "Aren't you coming to get us?" "Oh, yes, it must be about 30 minutes"...."ABOUT!! What time is it?" He pops back in and says it's been 37 minutes. Hum....did I not say 30?? BH!!!

Well, 37 minutes isn't too bad since it's a very hilly trek. I'm not totally sure how far it is, I'll have to go and drive it to see. It's a nice run as I don't have to worry about any dogs except the one across the road and there's very little traffic. It was fun and I'm looking forward to being able to get outside more as Spring is just around the corner!!! The next time we run by the Sheep Seeker will probably not jump totally out of his skin! I HOPE! G

No comments: