Monday, June 1, 2009

Baby Birds.......are cute!

Okay, I must admit....I'm a baby bird watcher. I know where most of the nests are around our place, whether it be in the pines, in the trees, in the down spouts or out in the barn.
I'm watching them!! Just ask the barn swallows!!!

Sometimes I wonder how birds survive at all!! Sparrows have the most misshaped haphazard nests around, babies are always falling out of them. They give other bird construction companies a bad name....if you're looking for a nest builder, leave sparrows OUT!!

Robins aren't always that much better. They put nests in the dumbest places!! I've seen them on top of fence posts, on wreaths, and this spring we had one on the down spout on the east side of our house. I couldn't bring myself to watch that one, it didn't look like ANYTHING good could come of it. Just DON'T LOOK ETHEL!

I finally found a nice sound little Robin nest in the pine trees on the West side of our house. I actually wouldn't have found it at all if I hadn't been walking by and the darn bird flew out at me and made me wet my pants. YIKES!!! That was a could weeks ago, and I've been watching the 4 little blue eggs every since. So, today.... look what I found!!!
Are they cute or what!!
It appears to be a nice secure little next inside a sturdy little pine tree.
Let's hope they survive the storms predicted for tonight.


While I was on vacation a couple weeks ago a little humming bird came to the South kitchen window. It was amazing I saw it....what's even more amazing that I was doing dishes! G
So, I hurried out and put some sugar water in the humming bird feeder and of course I haven't seen her since. Ungrateful little bird! This morning I was looking at the flowers under the wind mill and look what I found in the clematis. It's a tiny little nest and I think it might belong to a HUMMING BIRD!! At least I hope it does!! Time to make more sugar water!!!


So, I checked a little further and there's an EGG IN THERE!!!
Bill's now hollering at me to leave it ALONE!!!


One last picture and look, this tidy little nest is made up of some of the
Ponies mane and tail hairs. What good little house keepers humming birds are!
I only wish they hired out!!! G

3 comments:

Marsha K. said...

That is AWESOME!! Let's hope it's a hummingbird!!!

tervnmal said...

Love the robin's nest. It looks like double-wall construction, like a grass/straw nest built inside a grass/mud nest. Keep posting updates.

Anonymous said...

When I was a kid (a couple years ago), we had hummingbirds in the clematis too. It was fun watching. I have a pair of finches in the birdhouse on my deck this year. Usually it's the chickadees. These guys sing very loud! Keep the camera read for the birds first flight!