Thursday, June 18, 2009

Another Iowa Barn - Lost to Mother Nature

My sister called this morning. (They live down in south eastern Iowa) They'd had a wind storm "straight winds? Tornado?" in the middle of the night. At 330 this morning the wind woke her up. They grabbed the kids, the dog and headed downstairs, but by the time they got there, it was over.

This morning when her husband Chris went out to do chores he found their big red barn (built in the late 1800's) had been pushed a good foot off it's foundation and the East wall had given way. Sadly, it's a total loss. My niece's two 4-H steers and her heifer are fine. A little confused by the whole matter...but happy to get something to eat! Those are MY kind of cows!!!




3 comments:

tervnmal said...

Crap. I hate that. We lost ours in '98. They don't build barns like that anymore. Glad the 4-H cows didn't get squashed.

Marsha K. said...

That sucks! Those old barns are awesome. Glad the cows are ok!!

Anonymous said...

Thankfully everyone is ok but yep it sucks about the barn. I thought the storms were all north of us. Wish I knew a good weather spotter to keep me updated. Do the calves have a place to stay?