Thursday, June 11, 2009

Domestic ME!!

I'm on vacation next week....yes, I know....AGAIN!!! But that's okay, I have a LOT to do!!

One of the 'many' things on my 'to do' list is to redecorate one of the 3 bedrooms upstairs. I say 'redecorate' like it's been actually 'decorated' in the past? Whomever painted it last must have been on DRUGS!!! Actually, considering the whole down stairs of our house was painted - walls and ceilings - in either baby blue or baby pink when we moved in, the upstairs is down right STYLISH!!! G

After living in this house for 9.5 years, it's about time we started doing a few more 'updates' inside!! Okay, I'm not sure I can really say 'we', as Sal wants NO part of this adventure! I 'might' be able to get him to bring the paint inside from the truck tonight, but even that might be pushing my luck! He knows however, that whatever I start.....he'll somehow get involved! G

So, below is the bedroom I've chosen to 'update' first. We call it the 'yellow' room. Why? Because the walls are YELLOW!!! Yes, the ceiling is yellow too. I'm not sure why they thought it would be best to paint the ceiling the same color as the wall, but they do? Maybe it's a 1890 thing, which by the way is the year this house was built.


I might also mention here that when the people did paint, they did NOT bother to remove the wall paper underneath. Thus, you have these nice lines showing running vertical up and down your walls. Apparently when wall paper was invented (um...okay, by the Chinese in 200 BC) do you think I made that up? They didn't have the nice 'butting' edges they do today. it was OVERLAPPED!! Yep, so those lines show through as well. You might be asking yourself, is she going to remove the wall paper. Oh NAY NAY~~~ it might well be holding the house together!!! LOL

The pink and white quilt folded on the bed is one I made.
The other was from clearance at LL Bean.

The old iron bed is from an auction that my Dad Picked up. It's been about 15 years ago and my Dad, Bill and I went to an auction. I'm NOT good at auctions...when I see something I WANT IT~~ then I end up paying too much. So, this bed was there. It was spray painted 'black and gold', it had PERFECT metal box springs. I wanted it so bad!!! Of course my dad is telling me to chill and NOT to draw attention to it. So, Bill has to drag me away to look at other things. I gave my dad a piece of (not over $100) and left him to his bidding. One thing about my dad, when you give him a bid price, he 'might' or 'might not' adhere to what you want to spend. I once got a pink cherry blossom sugar server (depression glass) for $80. I only wanted to spend $40. LOL So, it was a risk!

We came back when the auctioneer was clearly past and I had myself a BED!!!
It was only $5!!!! YIPPEE!!!

The fancy border (below) is that 'modern' sticky adhesive kind. Kind of like tape, it will come off very easy!! If you want it, come and get it!!! Otherwise it will end up in a ball on the floor!
Can't wait to peel that off! You can also get a better look at the wall paper and oh..the multiple layers of PAINT!!! Who's been picking out this stuff?


The curtains came with that place too. I'll be making my own, yep, I can sew too!!
Who would have thought!! I made a pair for the bathroom when I was home on Monday.

Notice the brand new windows!!
We had all 11 of the windows replaced last week.
It was LONG over due!



The door is extremely fancy. I'm not sure what I'm doing with those yet.
Actually, I'm rather concerned that pink is going to cover very well.

I absolutely HATE painted wood work.
My stripper is getting rather old and grumpy,
so I'm not sure I can get him to 'perform' one last time.
BILL?????



Why would someone paint this???
Many more layers and you won't be able to tell it's decorated at all!


Here's one down stairs that Bill stripped 8 years ago.

It's not high quality wood, but this was a farm house, not a rich estate.
Things needed to be practical and functional.



I purchased the paint today and hope to get started on Monday.
I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

4 comments:

Marsha K. said...

Martha Stewart - watch out!!! This will look fantastic when you are finished - can't wait to see it in person!

Got Syzygy said...

I picked out the nicest shade of ORANGE!!! LOL

Anonymous said...

Did Bill take the week off too? Looks like a big project but I'm sure it will be great when you finish. Will look forward to updates during the week.

tervnmal said...

What a great project to tackle on vacation. Are you sure you don't want to strip that wallpaper? It's FUN FUN FUN! Post "in-progress" pics. I love looking at someone else's mess.