Sunday, June 7, 2009

Red Neck Pigman 2009 - I'm still alive!!


Martha gave me this cartoon on Friday. G
I only WISH I had that many legs!!!

Today was the big day!!
I finished, I survived and I got done in time for PIZZA!!
That's the short version!

Here's the long version.

The rule to this tri was that everything must be borrowed, free or I already had it.

Tri Wet Suit - Borrowed from Candy - Team Beast
Bike & Helmet - Borrowed - Meme - Weasels in Flight
Bike shorts/Zoot shirt - Borrowed - Dawn - Team Beast
Bike Trainer - Cosmos - Team Beast
Goggles, running belt , swim cap - Gift - The Pulfords



Saturday evening started out with 'carb loading' at the Olive Garden.
I'm good at carb loading!!!

Saturday night my sister, Dawn and her husband, Chris along with their kids, Daphne and Vaughn spent the night. I love those kids...they are going to pick out my nursing home! So whatever they need...they GET!!

We got to bed around 10 and then in the middle of the night the storms came in, knocking out our electricity from 330 - 430. We were getting up at 430 anyway (yes, the race started at 730 and we were 30 minutes away. Sure sounds like 'agility' to me!!!) but I was so relieved when the coffee machine started doing it's thing!! It's Sunday and there IS a goD!!

Check in was to open at 6. We wanted to get in early so we could get a good spot in the transition area. This is where you store your bike (or in my case, Meme's bike - Suzie - Thanks Meme!!), your shoes and running belt. Your bike it hooked onto a pole in this transition area and it's advantageous to have an end spot. It was apparent when we arrived at 6 that we were LATE! G
The parking lot was 1/2 full and several of the 39+ aged women were already there.
It worked out, we got a nice spot anyway.

After we chugged about 80 ounces of water we put on our wetsuits (mine is borrowed from a "Beast Triathlon Team Member", thanks Candy!!) and headed down to the water. The game plan was to get wet and comfortable in the water. Or I could take 'fireman Dave's Advice' and swim until I freak out and then come to shore and the race will be fine. It seems that 90% of the Tri people "HATE" the swim. I guess it has something to do with not being able to breathe while someone is kicking you or swimming over top of you. Makes perfect sense to me.

We completed our warm up and then came to shore for the briefing and the "elite" start. In the mean time my coffee and 80 (plus by now) of water had needed south and was looking for an exit. I looked up longingly at the port a potties. Do I have time? I asked?? Dawn said, 'just go in your suit, I just did.' Then Dave pipes in.....'me too'. Okay, this is just a little TMI!!! I explained, first off, this ISN'T MY WET SUIT!! Second, my butt will be sitting on Suzie's seat! NOT MY BIKE!!! They decided it was okay if I headed up use the 'bathroom'.

Our 'wave' is getting closer. 3 people have quite and have been pulled into the boats so far. This will NOT be me!! I know I want to swim to the outside and away from traffic. My biggest problem is trying to avoid 'racing' someone faster than me. It's so easy to fall into sprint mode. By staying to the outside I not only avoid traffic and getting bumped or swam over, I also can't really tell how fast the people around me are going. The down side is that you end up swimming further than you'd need to. They are sending us into the water with 3 seconds in between each person. This actually seemed to be working well and preventing a lot of bunching up.

The swim wasn't nearly as bad as people had lead me to believe. I think it helped going to Burlington to swim with the 'Team Beast' group. That first time in the water was SCARY!
I feel secure in my little pool with blue lines. Meme, Michelle and Vinnie went with me to the pond on Friday to practice more open swimming. That pond has a LOT of weeds growing from the bottom, so that's a bit creepy. Bill and Seeker went with me Saturday morning in the rain and I think those trips really paid off and made me feel confident in the water. My goal in the water was 10 minutes, I came in at just under 12. I was fine with that as I didn't stay on track very well and I did have to breast stroke a bit to get my barrings. I did try to run out of the water too soon and almost fell on my face....the "S" word kind of popped out. G

Running up the hill trying to take your wetsuit off it HARD!! Huffing and puffing!!
At least on the bike you can BREATHE!!!!!

I didn't think the bike ride was too bad. There were a few hills that were MURDER!! But overall, not bad at all. I was so disappointed with my time however. Suzie and I did our best....well, okay, we did have time to take in some scenery, so maybe we weren't ALL business! G Knowing Suzie isn't a racing bike, I think we did pretty well. I hoped to complete the bike ride in 45 minutes. It took 65 minutes, so that really cost me the chance to make my personal goal.

I did almost have a wreck on the bike. It was at the dismount. You're coming down a steep hill and have to hang a left. There is marker in the transition area that you MUST be off your bike. I slipped my right foot out of the cage and planned on gracefully swinging my leg over and effortlessly jogging next to the bike up to the transition. Well, after 15.5 miles and 65 minutes on a bike, your legs turn to RUBBER!!!! OMG!!! I almost went down, but managed to keep both of use on our feet. That was CLOSE!!!!!!

The run was PAINFUL!! It had nothing to do with oxygen and everything to do with shin pain!! I had it happen at home when I tried to switch from riding to running and it's a total killer. I'm not even sure I can describe it, but I suppose it's like someone sticking needles in your shins. I would try to walk, but it hurt even worse than if I would slowly job along. I did stop briefly to see if I could get those muscles stretched out, but apparently they were out to lunch!! Scale of 1-10....totally a 9. I was almost in tears at one point....here Dawn was telling me about people crying on the swim....I was darn near close to crying on the run!! It took a little over 2 miles for them to finally start to feel better. As I would "run" I would try to stretch them out. UGH!
Running time a very slow 36 minutes...but it was about where I thought I'd be after the other two events. Add in some transition times and I finished at 1:58:42. 13:42 off my goal.
But under 2 hours, so I was happy with that.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. I really thought I could hit the 1:45......but I finished....I didn't choke on the swim and I actually beat a few people along the way!! G

Will I do it again??

Right now, I'm not sure. 'maybe'.

I will keep swimming. If nothing else I've found I really do enjoy that. I like the pool, the people and the challenge of going further. Not to mention the lung capacity it builds. Like I need that!

I would like to make my goal time...but finding the time to train is really tough.
Next time I'd want a racing bike and I'm not sure I'd be able to borrow another Tri suit.

Thanks to the Burlington BEAST Triathlon Club!!
For helping me out!!!!!
(I know I've missed some results!!!!)
Now I can wear my sweatshirt since I finished!!!

Dawn Pulford - 1:29:41
Shawn Mears - 1:17:59
Fireman Dave Luers 1:30:59 (Dawn beat you!!!)
Lyle Roberts (78 years old) 1:46:26 - he's been doing this for years!!! G


and my riding buddy -

Julie Volesky - 1:55:29 - You go GIRL!!!


and just to make me feel a 'little' better!!

Hey Dawn.....how come you got beat by a 72 year old guy???
1:24:23



3 comments:

Marsha K. said...

You did stinkin' AWESOME!!!!!!!! Now you just need customized shoes, a race bike with those funky wheels (and a horn), a wet suit and an in ground pool!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Tammy. Determination seems to be a good word today. Good job you.

tervnmal said...

Never a doubt you would finish! What's next?