Sunday, March 23, 2008

You might be a redneck if.........

Spring Agility Trials will be upon us before we know it! YIPPEE!!! Along with those trials we face yet another year of "survival camping"! In order to save money on silly things like hotels rooms (in which we occupy about 8 hrs) with Televisions, Heat, Air and a HOT SHOWER, many of my friends have taken to tent or "van" camping. (Yes, sleeping in the van!!!)

My first camping experience for a dog related event was in MN in June of 2000 with Martha. We slept in our Armadillo Screen tent, on the hard cold ground. Other than a few sore muscles, we did well. So our camping, when able, began. We've slept at trial sites, in parking lots, and yes even camping facilities like "normal" people.

We've evolved over the years. We've purchased tents, air mattresses, sleeping bags, laterns, rain gear, marshmellow pokers, MATCHES and have learned MANY valuable lessons. Our most recent discovery was FIRE!!!! Well, not really "fire", but fire in an area you can't use your "normal" fire pit. This occurred when Jeff H brought along a little propane heating burner in which to heat water. COFFEE!!!! Yes, Jeff H is my FAVORITE!! G

With this season about to start, I've been thinking about getting a "portable" commode for those trials where we do NOT have a bathroom. Omaha is probably the main problem as once the trial folks leave you have to go to Walgreen's to pee and honestly, they are starting to look at us kind of funny. They even followed us around the store one evening. In all honestly, we deserved it, as Meme and Michele F were looking at dog beds and one of them wanted one on the very top self. Meme and I were about to form the base of a human pyramid so Michele could get it....but I digress....G

So, I've been looking at these small little box commodes. (It would be a #1 unit only) They are fairly compact, and not terribly large, but it's about 90 dollars. BH!! I suppose it beats trying to pee in a sandwich baggie (been there, done that, couldn't get the van door open............Don't try it!!) But $90 to use just a few times a year?? Um.....gosh, I could think of a lot of other things to spend $90 on!! FUN THINGS!! Like a camera lens, hunting reins, agility equipment.....

Luckily, I don't get up in the night to "go" so I don't have to have something...but it would be nice not to hold it from 4 pm until 6 the next morning. So I got to thinking about what else I could get. Cheap, yet functional, portable, reusable........

I've decided.

I'm just taking a little ice cream pail with me and I can line it with a kitchen bag if I REALLY need to go.......There are a lot of pluses to this.

#1, you get to eat ice cream!!! How else will you get the container??

#2 It doesn't cost a lot. It's free really, once you eat the ice cream

#4 It doesn't take up much room.

#5 In the afternoon you can use the same bucket to wash your hair and do the dishes!!!! LOL

Yep, I'm a REDNECK and PROUD OF IT!!! VBG

No comments: