Thursday, March 20, 2008

Spring is in the AIR!!!!

Today it made it to the low 50's and I managed to secure a riding date with Julie from down the road. I had a plan when I got home from work, I had about one hour! I thought I'd go for a run, get the ponies in and get them cleaned up and saddle Adam and I'd be OFF!!

Well, best laid plans and all that. I let the ponies in, Adam is a bit lame on his hind leg. CRAP!! It's really windy outside and I really do hate the wind, so I didn't go running. (Sorry Dawn!! I'll pay for it during our run!!!) I worked Seeker on contacts and then when and got Saphira out of her stall. What the heck, she's got to go out on the road someday right??

I take her into the building and put on her saddle. I get my lunge line (I've got 30 minutes to take the edge off). So she starts out fine, then gets squirrely. That straight up in the air kind of squirrely. NICE!! So we practice some halts, trot, switch direction, halt, trot, repeat, repeat, repeat. Then some canters, buck, buck, squeal, buck, buck.....I keep checking the clock. Boy, 30 minutes sure passes quickly!

I guess I'd better do some riding! So I get on and she's pretty good, of course now everything we've just lunged by is SCARY!! OMG!!! There's a teeter!! There's a dog walk!! A-FRAME!! Oh BH, you've been running by then for 30 minutes, take a pill!!! I get off and lunge her some more.

All of a sudden, I hear Julie, "Hello, ready??" Yep, I'm riding Saphira. G "Oh, you are brave. Do you have a helmet?" Good idea, I run back in and get it. Saphira is pretty worked up about Julie's pony, Nellie. So we get on and it's pretty obvious they are just working each other up. Saphira is squealing and jumping around. I think she's in heat....it's NOT going to work. So I tell her I'll grab Adam, it's just a couple miles. RATS!!!

Nice uneventful ride. Adam is pretty solid and an easy ride. Met the neighbor on the way back and I gave his 7 year old a short ride, she liked it.

One of these days Saphira needs to get out on the road.....but I suppose I should wait until I can actually work her for a month or so. I guess I'm not nearly as patient as I should be!

No comments: