Friday, November 20, 2009

CHICKEN MOM of the YEAR!!!!

Okay, I'll admit it.

I LOVE MY CHICKENS!

They are curious, friendly and CUTE!

I'm always looking for fresh healthy food for them.
In fact, I plant extra in my garden, just for the chickens!




So, when a gal at work said her friend was trying to 're home' pumpkins,
I was all over it!

As long as I was willing to pick them up,
they would load them up.
What a deal!!

Now, I don't think about Iowa as a vegetable state, but
I was impressed by the size of the place.

They loaded me up with two pallets
of baking pumpkins!
BTW - they make AWESOME puree!



Of course the majority are for the birds.
It's been a bit cool, so when I break them open the
girls gobble up the seeds and soft insides.

They rest is not quite so easy.
I usually just let them rot a
bit and they will eat them then.
With the cooler temperatures,
that's just not happening.

I wasn't willing to cook all those
pumpkins in the oven!

I came up with a BRILLIANT idea!!!
I'll cook them over the fire pit!



THIS IS A BLAST!
You can pluck them off the
flames with the stem.
Or use a potato fork and pierce them.

They need to cool first of course.
In return -
My birds will keep on giving us
YUMMY eggs!

What a deal!

2 comments:

tervnmal said...

That is a LOT of pumpkins! Your chickens should be very happy.

Marsha K. said...

JL - what a lot of pumpkins!! Wonder if your girls will turn orange?