Saturday, May 9, 2009

Turkey's BIG day OUT!

People say turkeys are stupid. My turkeys, are little EINSTEINS!!
(I say 'mine' because Bill wants NOTHING to do with them)
They are curious and actually quite friendly little birds.
This is suppose to distract you from thinking they look DELICIOUS!

I suppose some would argue that being curious is going to get you hurt or worse.
I could agree with that I guess. They do like to see what's going on!
Nosy little birds!

Yesterday was a PERFECT day weather wise. It was sunny, warm and very low wind. I thought it would be nice to let the little chicks and turkeys out for awhile. This of course implies that the birds would WANT to come out! Having spent the 1st - 3+ weeks of their lives in a safe small confined space and then all of a sudden being expose to a very large somewhat green space could be intimidating. Especially if your the size of a sparrow. So, when I dropped the door down I expected the same old story I've always gotten from the ducks and chicks. NO WAY!

(Insert a tidbit here - if you're buying 'range' chickens and it says they have access to grassy areas - this might mean the door is down, but NO ONE is going OUT THERE!!)

From past experience, if I put the feeder half in and out of the door way I could generally encourage the chicks to give the outdoors a try. At least a few would got out on the door, but NEVER into the grass until after a few days of exposure. The ducks, FORGET IT! They would NOT go outside until you'd 'herd' them out and then of course they were in such a panic to get out that they would have NO idea how to get back in. So, you'd have to 'herd' them back.

To my surprise, I put the water and feeder over near the door and it wasn't 5 minutes and one of the little turkeys was poking it's head outside, 'what's up'? CUTE! I left them alone and came back a little while later and 4 turkeys and 2 chicks were out. I guess, 'chicken see, chicken do'.
Then I was amazed again as they turkeys went inside the drop down door, ahead of the chicks and came back out again. Hum, I got the chicks because the turkeys were suppose to be too stupid to figure out where things were on their own. Marketing ploy?? Me Thinks!

So, below are the little birds outside. Can you tell the difference? I'm a bit concerned the the chicks are actually a bit larger than the turkeys. The chickens should grow up to be in the 5 lb range, turkeys in the 18+ range. I wish I still had the box!

I wonder if I got those extremely rare 'pocket turkeys'? G
Pygmy Turkeys? Or worse Tea Cup Turkeys?

I suppose time will tell.......


1 comment:

tervnmal said...

Benjamin Franklin thought they were brilliant, too. He wanted the turkey to be the national symbol, not the eagle. Yes, I am absolutely full of worthless trivia.