Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Mind Games....that "mental" thing....

Training continues for the Triathlon.....but not at the pace it should be. I just find myself NOT making the time. Truth be known, there are days I don't have time, but if it's important enough....you can always find it. Time is just an EXCUSE!!! With a month to go, I really need to get serious or I'll be hauled away on the MEAT WAGON!! I suppose as long as I get to eat...I'll be cool with that!

I'm doing pretty well at the swimming practice. Probably because I feel that this is where the biggest risk to my "life" is. Swimming in a black swim cap (for those 40 yrs and above), if I got under the only thing that's going to save me is my neon white skin. Luckily I have PLENTY of that still ivory white and safe from the summer sun.....for now. I'm going minimum twice a week and would like to start 3 times a week. Those are the only lap swims at the little pool. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The swim is 547 yards (11 laps) and I'm able to do 30 without stopping in about 30 minutes. I just need to get out into the "open" water in a lake or pond as people tell me it's a LOT different. I'm sure it is, no blues lines keeping you in your lane and others swimming over you. It's mental, just swim your plan!

The run I'm not concerned about. I really do NOT like to run "outside". Okay...I'm not so sure I like running at all to be quite honest. Running outside is that mental thing again, when I look up to the stop sign 1.75 miles from our house, it seems so far away!! I know Seeker LOVES to run with me (although I'm probably not fast enough for him), I just don't want to commit myself to running all the way up there and then being stuck and knowing I have to run back. That sounds pretty lame I know, but on the treadmill I have a CHOICE!! I can CHOOSE to stop any time I want to!! My sofa is just yards away! I'm not worried about the run, I can do it. I might not be fast, but I'll get there, eventually.

Now I've run 2 - 5Ks and one 8K. They were okay and I got through them by NOT looking ahead. You think I'm kidding? NO WAY!! I watch the ground or my feet and keep thinking about Rudolph and Kirby, you know the song, "Put one foot in front of the other". Yes, it gets me through! Pretty scary huh!

The Bike. Okay, this is truly my nightmare!! I'm totally freaked out. 15.5 freaking miles on a bike and NO DRAFTING!!! I'm not totally sure what "drafting" is, but it's suppose to give you an advantage and right now I need ALL the help I can get. If you can't draft, I wonder if a tow line is out of the question. 30 minutes on the bike is torture for me and I'm in the bedroom on a level surface listening to some nice calming Rob Zombie. On there in the park there are HILLS!!! 3 Large ones I'm told, one at the very end.

It's the bike that's going to make or break my goal. I have 45 minutes to complete the bike ride in order to have any hope of coming in under 1 hr 45 minutes for the whole thing. Dawn was saying, the swim can cost you the "win" (WHO CARES), but a poor bike and cost you everything. I hope she was speaking 'figuratively' here. Let's face it, if I am only managing 30 minutes on the bike right now, how can I possibly do 45 outside where there's wind! Unless I'm using a bike with a motor, it's time to get serious!

Bottom line it's going to be mental, just like most other things we do. You either "suck it up or blow it out". So, it's time to start SUCKING!!! G

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you just need to FOCUS. When is this?

tervnmal said...

I have some really good heart meds if you need them. LOL