Sunday, May 25, 2008

Seeker's 8K Training!!!

Yesterday I had a graduation to attend. It's that time of year!!! But why does it still feel like March outside??? My sister Dawn, was there. So of course we talked about upcoming races. I'm looking at a 5K or 8K June 21st, she's looking at an Olympic Triathlon on June 22nd. How sad that I'll have a harder time completing mine that she will hers? Although I KNOW my overall time will be BETTER!! LOL

She asked how my "running" was coming and I told her okay. I've been doing most of my "running" inside on the treadmill as it's been so windy. In case you don't know...I HATE WIND!! So, she says, "Running into the wind makes you a stronger runner". Honestly, I really need to STOP talking to her!! G This from the same person that told me that I should have NOTHING left at the end of the race. UGH!!!

So we talked a bit about the Marion run and what my strategy should be for this next race in June. I ask her, do I enter the 5 or 8K so I can FINALLY place? Of course she answers, "Well, just let me get out my crystal ball". Honestly, I think we ALL got that Sarcastic gene!!!

After some discussion she figured since it was a small town race, the first one and another larger event was happening nearby most people would be running the 5K. So I might want to try the 8K. Of course you also might need to factor in all the other "old people" in your age group might also be trying for a placement and come in and beat you! UGH! Thanks a lot!!

She said it sounded like I did a good job of really trying in Marion. This time however she said I should try harder. I need to vomit at the end!! I swear, that's what she said!! Okay, it was more like...."This time I want you to run so hard that you vomit at the end.". BH!!! WHAT!! "Have you"? I asked. She said, no, but I know people that have. Did they place? No. Well, then I'm not doing that unless I do the doughnut run in Ames next June!!!

So now I've made my decision, I think. I'll do the 8K (5 miles) in June vs the 5K (3.1 miles). I need to find out what the route will be. If it's "laps" I might change my mind as I really don't want to run in circles. I'm planning on taking Seeker with me this time and since he needs to get "ready" I thought I should probably take him out running when we got home.

Guess what? It's still WINDY at 6 PM when I'm getting ready to go!! UGH!! "It will make you a STRONGER" runner I hear this voice in my head. "It'll make me BITTER!!!" I respond back. I give Bill a kitchen timer and tell him, "Seeker and I are running to town, when this timer goes off, come and get us." Now this might seem like a risky move, but since I have his puppy with me, I know he'll at least come get him. Once he's stopped I'll have an advantage as I know how to open the van doors and Seeker doesn't!! G

I grab Seeker's collar and leash and ask him if he's ready to go. HAIL YEAH!!! DUH!!

Off we go. Now Benton County is pretty cheap, they don't like to spend money on ANYTHING!! So when they decided to put new gravel on most of the roads in our area I was surprised and not necessarily pleased. Adam doesn't like to run on it and honestly, I don't either. It's a nice way to sprain an ankle looking for your footing. On the bright side, it gives you something else to think about other than RUNNING!! (':

The route to Norway is a "safe" one. Meaning I've ridden Adam there enough to know that we're safe from dogs that run out at you. This is VERY good information to have. I'm guessing it's 4-5 miles to Norway, so I'm hoping to make it in about 45 minutes. We head off straight into the East wind!! EEWWWW~~ It's pretty slow going and I'm not sure if we're making any progress, finally about 3/4 mile we get to head south and with the wind at our side it's much easier going. It's actually a pretty route, the houses are well maintained and the corn is just starting to peek through the black dirt. We run by some cows/calves and they stare at us as we cross the bridge.

As we're running I'm starting to feel a bit over dressed in my t-shirt, sweatshirt and sexy old sweat pants. As I think about it more I realize my sweatpants are starting to slip off. CRAP! So I'm checking to see if there is a string that I can tighten. I'm running and trying to use my teeth to get the string and avoid twisting an ankle on the rocks. I can NOT get a hold of it. So finally I have to resort to pulling my sweatpants up and over my sweatshirt to keep them up. I know, way too sexy for words. Luckily Seeker wasn't carrying a camera!

As we get closer to Norway I've decided that we'll just run to the fire station and get a 50 cent soda. Only one problem. I don't have any change. I ask Seeker if he has any cash. He doesn't answer, so I take that as a NO. Crap! No problem, we'll just get 50 cents from Bill when he picks us up.

We're within a 1/2 mile or so from town when we come across an older man walking on the opposite side of the road. He says, "hello" and I reply "good day" and Seeker darts in front of me like he's suppose to cross over and give a hello too in "dog". HOLD ON THERE BUCKWHEAT!! So I'm still running and trying to get Seeker back where he needs to be. What a CF!!! I might add here that Seeker is tied at my waist so my arms are free. To be honest I usually forget that he's even there. He's a great little running buddy, but apparently we need some practice when it comes to other people running/walk next to us or behind us. We have a few weeks to work on that. So for the next 1/4 mile or so Seeker keeps looking behind us to see where that "man" went. Nothing like having to drag a puppy along behind you!! Okay, it wasn't that bad, but honestly dog.....FOCUS ESTER!!! G

We make it into town and now we're running on sidewalks!! I go past the church and look at us in the window. OMG!!! First off, we are NOT going very fast!!! You know how you see those people "running/jogging" and you think...OMG!! You're not going anywhere!! Well, that was us!! LOL Then I look at my outfit! Let's just say I'm safe from being "picked up". They will get NO RANSOM money from this hot chick!! G

We make it to the fire station. We're in front of the soda machine which is across the street from the bank. What do all banks have out front? A sign of course with the time/temp (ever wonder why that is??) do they want to make sure their employees make it to work on time???

Anyway, I think we made it in about 44 minutes. That would be great if it's 4.5-5 miles. We'll have to wait for Bill to figure it for us with the van. He arrives a few minutes later and says, wow, that was a long way! Did you run all the way. I roll my eyes and think to myself, "No, caught a ride". G Instead I ask. Do you have 50 cents?? He looks in the van. No. DOUBLE CRAP!! Okay, honestly folks, we're 5 minutes from home and we have soda in the fridge, but I want 50 cents to buy one! Where's the logic in that????

My billfold is in the van, so YIPPEE!!! CHANGE!! I take out 2 shiny quarters and anticipate the cold delicious soda!! I drop in the first one and it passes through the machine and lands in the changer. UH OH....the same thing happens to the second quarter. UGH!!! Not being easily discouraged and I give it another try....okay....4 (I really WANT that soda) NOTHING!!! OH MAN. Oh well, I guess we really didn't need it anyway.

So the 3 of us pile into the van and head for home. It was only 4.0 miles, so my time wasn't stellar, but I have no doubt the 2 of us can do 5. We'll have to check out some other routes or I'll have to double back on that one. I'd prefer to see new scenery on the run, but that's alright. Seeker's feet were in good shape, so I shouldn't have to worry about that. When he got out of the van he ran after Cougar and did a few victory sprints. He could have at least tried to LOOK tired!! (':

I'll get my entry sent in this week. I want to be sure I get a LOW number and a T-Shirt!!

Happy RUNNING....and remember....

If you're not living on the Edge..... You're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!! G

Tammy and Seeker

No comments: