Saturday, May 17, 2008

New 5K Record!! 26.53 Chip Time

Okay, for ME, not for the race itself. G

Bill, Meme and Brian met at Rilda's house to head over the the race at the Arts Festival this Morning. THANK YOU FOR GOING!!!

We parked at Rilda's and walked the 5-6 blocks (Rilda's terminology for 12-14) to the city park. I've never really spent much time there, but they do have a very pretty park! I'm thinking I might have to join St. George's Church...but more on that later.

We arrive EARLY. I know, this is ME we're talking about...imagine that! LOL I register and pick up my "goodie bag" which included a nice T-Shirt and 8 packets of Biofreeze. Hum....I don't suppose someone is trying to tell us something? We not only have racing numbers this time, we also have CHIPS!! WOW!!! BIG BROTHER'S WATCHING!!! G

So I have my towel to sit on and I'm doing my stretches. The other 4 are standing around talking and wondering "What the HECK are we doing here so early!" SORRY!!!

Monique and Kelly join us. I work with them and this is their first 5K! Way to go LADIES!!!

With 10 minutes to go we head up to the start line. Hind sight I think this was a mistake. I think I might have been better off doing some brisk walking and coming up the the start line right before they started. I'll remember for next time.

As I'm standing there some people are talking and saying that if you can "get out of the cemetery" you're home free. One guys said, "The cemetery is going to sort out the 'runners' from the 'non-runners'. BH!! STOP!! This course is suppose to be FLAT!!! CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!

Next thing I know the "gun" goes off and we're OFF!!! I'm moving right along and people are passing me like crazy!! STOP!!!! Geez, show some respect!! I'm just thinking about the "water station" as I know that's at the half way point. So we're kicking right along and here comes the CEMETERY!!!! AWESOME!!! IT's DOWN HILL!!!! Um....Wait....why are all those runners running UP A HILL? What happened to FLAT!!! Can I get my $$$ BACK!!! I suppose what goes down must come back up? (EEEWWW that was NOT a good analogy!!) Anyway, I let my legs carrying me easily down the hill. I thought I'd gain some time going down the hill to make up for the time it will take me back up. UGH!!

We come to the one mile point. 8:19 the volunteer yells as I got by. This tells me how fast I "ran" the first mile. Of course I quickly calculate the pace and figure at this pace I'll finish around 25! WOW!! Keep kicking!!!

The water station is just ahead!! YIPPEE!! Geez, they must NOT expect much business as they have only one 8' table and 3 people working. I grab a MUCH needed cup while still running and pour a little into my mouth. It's not that I'm thirsty, it's just that my mouth gets so dried out from sucking air!! I suppose I should be glad I was still breathing!!

Trying to get control of my breathing seemed to be the struggle on this run. There were honestly times I thought about walking. However, I talked myself out of it and let up a little to try to get it under control. I think in the next race I'll be sure to do some brisk walking for about 10 minutes right before the race.

I felt like I really struggled at the end. I think part of it was I "kind" of knew the route and that I was starting to watch street signs at the end. I was also looking for the big FINISH sign. I suppose that the signs might help some people, I think I'd rather NOT know. In a way the same applies to the 1 mile and 2 mile times, for some I'm sure it's motivating. For me however, it's almost TMI. I start to wonder if I can really keep that pace.

On the last turn I see the finish line and really try to kick it in. UGH!!! I just hear Dawn saying..... "Pain is only temporary, but giving up and leaving some at the end of the race is for forever." I don't think I had much left.

Final results
Pace - 8:42
1st mile - 8:19
Gun Time - 27:00 (compared to first race time of 29:37)
Chip Time - 26:53
Division Placement - 12
Women's Overall Placement - 86/319

I enjoy the before and the after. I'm still debating how I feel about the "between".

At the Arts Festival, they have a lot of "you guessed it" ART! They also had food however. Some REALLY GOOD FOOD!!! Back to the Church I'll be joining. They had this fried bread with sugar on top. YUMMY!!!!

Next run? Newhall - 6/21. I'm debating between the 5K and the 8K. I was pretty sure before today that I'd do the 8K. After today I'm not so sure??

No comments: