Saturday, February 16, 2008

Trying NOT to tick off Bill this weekend....

Well, best laid plans and all that!!
The week didn't start out really great with the wind picking up on Sunday and the roads blowing shut. Carrie was able to barrel through them and we made it home from the Twin Cities without any problems. That was good, since it was freaking freezing! Mad and I did stop at the Spring Valley DQ and believe it or not we were the ONLY ones there and YES, we got Ice Cream in -7 degree actual temperature weather! G

Bill tells me, DO NOT go east if the road isn't clear! You'll need to go West, then North when leaving the lane. Well, I forgot, kind of. I headed East and then barreled through one drift and thought I'd better turn around. Good idea, with BAD results. I got stuck. Well, technically, I didn't get stuck....Carrie did. Poor low riding Carrie, but Bill came to the rescue and I took "IT" (Bill's van to work) and he dug Carrie out and drove the Truck (who sadly doesn't have a name) to work.

So Monday afternoon, on the way home another storm is coming in. The highway is HORRIBLE and snow is blowing. Icy roads and snow coming I call Bill and suggest he stay in town. He bunks with Meme and Bbetty and is quite comfortable by the fire, cable TV and chicken cassorole. I'm BITTER!!!!

So Tuesday I work from home and make a BIG mess in the kitchen. I need to make cupcakes to take to work for Wed and make hot chocolate for myself. Just in case you ever forgot and put the HC mix in before you heat the milk. DO NOT try to heat them together. Talk about toxic overflow!! I didn't clean up the mug or the microwave....boy did I HEAR ABOUT THAT!!!

I think I was pretty good the rest of the week and I thought this weekend I'm really going to keep my nose clean!!! Famous last words! Tony from dog class got a new pony a few weeks ago and was really looking forward to taking her out. Today was suppose to be nice, so I told her we could hit the gravel roads. Tony boards her pony about 4 miles from us and since she's never been out on the roads I told her I'd come up and get her. I barely got out of the lane and ran into problems. HELLO!!! ABORT MISSION!! Oh, NO, I'm way too suborn for that!!

We head South by the dreaded "sheep" (they eat brown ponies you know!!!)The sheep were hiding behind the HUGE pile of snow, which I suppose "could" have been a huge sheep. To say Adam freaked out was an understatement. No matter how I tried, he did NOT want to go by. He ended up bolting into the ditch to get away and of course the ditch was FULL so he now bouncing to get through the drift(which is deeper than his belly) and back up to the road. Does that stop me.....oh no, again he goes into the ditch and bounces back up to the road. Bill spots us this time (I'm not sure how he missed the rodeo the first time?) Denial? Maybe. But he comes up and leads Adam past the sheep while I stay mounted.

This should have been enough to get me to stop, but no....I go on. We're doing well for the next 1.5 miles or so, but then the road is more ice than snow and gravel. I call Bill on my handy cell phone and ask him to bring me a halter in case I need to dismount and lead Adam vs. riding him. His bridle actually pulls off quite easily, so I wanted a choice. Bill shows up, but with Saphira's bridle vs. a halter. Rats!

While he's gone Adam has a complete melt down on the ice. He's so afraid to move he's trembling all over. I felt really bad for him and honestly, he would have been fine if he would just walk where I asked him. He apparently didn't believe me. Tony was counting on me, so I didn't think I could turn around. Bill came back with a halter and then leads him across a bridge that was mostly ice.

Finally after 3 miles, I asked Bill to go up to Tony's and tell her that it's just too icy and I'm going to turn around and head home. It was a pretty long ride and Bill needed to come rescue us from those blood thirsty sheep again. I have NO idea how that phobia got so bad. I told Adam he was going to need to spend a month over there if he keeps this up. Either that a few are going to have to stay with us. BH!!

Tomorrow I promise NOT to get into any trouble. With 8 more inches of snow expected....what could I possibly do?? VBG

No comments: