Thursday, February 7, 2008

Just When you THOUGHT it was SAFE to go to WORK!!

Well, actually...it wasn't going that was the problem!

It was the trip home, or more specifically the last 2 miles! We are talking WESTERN!!!!!
All that was missing was a couple ponies, cowboys with hats, a six shooting and HIGH NOON!

So my favorite "Snow Bandit" stopped over last night with his monster snow blower and tractor to dig out our lane. He also did the 2 mile stretch of gravel due WEST. (This is important LATER!!) So this am, it was a pretty smooth ride to work, normal winter driving conditions I'd say.....

So on the way home I "forgot" about the due WEST part (which would now be EAST) until I had pulled into the very very bad NO NO South/North road. F!!!!!!! The first thought as I entered the road was "oh, this is rather chewed up snow, it'll be tricky in the morning...I'd better get a run at it to the highway" (yes, I talk VERY fast to myself!).

Then reality struck. The Freaking maintainer had NOT been by yet!!!! Crap! I knew not to that this road! UGH!!! Well, not anything you can do about it now but to keep on a truckin'. (is that a bumper sticker??) I debate as to whether I could "possibly" get into one of the drives that are about 1/4 mile into that road, but I didn't think I should chance getting stuck there and having people hate me for life. Better to have Bill yell at me for choosing the wrong freaking road!

So I have the pedal down and I know I can NOT stop....keep moving CARRIE!!! As I drive by the houses my friend Ambush runs out and his little brown friend at his heels. They are LOVING this, because they can stay with me!!!! It's now totally white out - oh, did I mention I was also out of window wash and my windshield was streaked with salt spray?? NICE!

I'm trying to watch the two dogs and keep Carrie moving in some other idiots car tracks. Carrie is getting pulled from one side to the other and I'm just hoping I can keep her out of the ditch and in someone's tracks.

Just as I start to think I'm going to make it. WHOOP!! I hit this mega huge drift (at least I think that's what it was??) and snow comes flying over the hood and onto the windshield. Eye ball surgery or not, I can't see "S"! F!! Where's the wiper? I know have my right foot pushing on the gas, my left hand on the wheel, my right trying to get the wipers on and my left thinking about exiting the vehicle. CRAP!! Well, she managed to stay on the road and we only had one minor drift to navigate to get to the corner. I was never so happy to see 74th Street!

Boy, it that's not something to get your blood pumping.

Tomorrow morning let's hope I can remember to just drive EAST and do NOT detour onto the North/South road!!

No comments: