Sunday, February 17, 2008

OH MY ACHING ADDUCTORS!!!

You know, those muscles on the inside of your thighs that you NEVER use unless your riding a pony? Yep, they hurt today after that 6 mile pony ride yesterday with 3 visits into the ditch resulting in riding a rodeo bronc until he got back to the road. UGH!!! So today we've been taking it rather easy. Sal wanted to watch the news and I knew I should go and run. UGH!!!! But alas off I go.

I turn on the treadmill, then the radio. I hate daytime radio, too many commercials. No wonder I run early in the morning! I really need to break down and buy a inexpensive cd player. Anyway, I decide I'd best pre-medicate and luckily I keep a bottle of naproxen right on the treadmill in case of such emergencies. I medicate and begin to walk. OUCH!!!!

I decide a lot of running is out of the question today, so I decide on the tenth mile plan. walk a tenth, run a tenth. Sounds like a good idea, expect when I start to run my shins start to scream. I forgot "AGAIN" to stretch. Story of my life, oh well...I'm sure they will loosen up as I go.

The plan is, 3.7 mph walk and work my way up the speeds. As RSopie so nicely pointed out, I better start moving faster if I want to actually finish the race with everyone. Or something to that affect. So, 5, 3.7, 6, 3.7...you get the picture. Up to the 10 mph mark. MY FAVORITE!! So this is accomplished and I'm pretty proud of myself. I still have a LOT of time to go, so I decide to work my way back down. Only this time I'm going to do 2 tenths run and 1 tenth walk. I'll start with 10.

JL!! What was I thinking! Actually the first tenth wasn't too bad, but that last .5 was murder! I'm sucking wind at the walk and I know there is NO way I can do the 9 mph for 2 tenths in about 30 seconds. Change of rules! Hey, it's my game, I can change the rules!! So I decide a better plan is to work the run in both directions. So this next time I'll run 5 mph, walk, then 9 mph,walk, 6 mph, walk. You get the picture. This works out perfectly and I end with 7mph and walk until done.

During these faster speeds, 8, 9, 10 mph I do very well for the first 10th, it's that last little bit that I start to waiver. I can tell my feet are hitting the treadmill louder and I wonder what Sal must be thinking out in the Living Room. I'm pretty sure he's had to turn the TV up to hear the news. To his credit he never comes and looks. I think he's afraid of what he might see. VBG

To my credit the adductors no longer hurt, nor do my shins. This is either because the drugs are working or my body is too worried about breathing to working about muscle pain.

I have yet to experience the so called, "Runner's High". I honestly think they have made it up just to get people to run. Now, I do understand the excitement when it's over! G

Just 3 months to the race and if I can stay on track and just run 3 times a week I think I'll be ready. FINGERS crossed! I am looking forward to finally being able to run outside! It will be a nice change of scenery.

No comments: