Monday, August 17, 2009

Canning Time!!!

Seems like it's feast or famine when the tomato time comes. You're waiting all spring for them to finally get ripe enough to eat and then you're rushing to get them canned before they crack or spoil. So this morning I thought I'd better get started since we had a whole pile of tomatoes in various stages of ripeness.

So, first you need to core the tomatoes and put them in boiling water for a minute or so, then into a cool bath so the skins will come off easily.


Here are the happy little tomatoes 'skinned'. I'm using all heirlooms this year. In the bowl are a variety of German Pink, Gold Medal, Italian Heirloom, Tasty Evergreen and my favorite, Cherokee Purple. I love the variety in the colors.

I cook the tomatoes down, this is called a 'hot pack' method. You can also 'cold pack' them, which means you don't cook them down. Isn't this pretty? Okay Meme....you don't need to answer! G


While that's cooking I'm going to fill up my coffee mug!


Then they are packed into jars and put in the water cooker. I've learned to use less liquid and more tomato meat. Otherwise I think they have too much liquid when you use them. The left over liquid, which is tomato juice, I'll freeze and use in a minestrone this winter. YUM!!

After boiling for 40 minutes they are ready to be taken out of the hot bath.


Here's the first batch of this summer's canned tomatoes, cooling and getting ready for storage!
Just like Grandma Humbert use to do!


3 comments:

Marsha K. said...

Well... they are VERY pretty!!!

tervnmal said...

I will make sure Phoenix reads your blog. He needs to understand tomatoes are good for more than instant gratification.

Those will be very yummy this winter!

Anonymous said...

My God - you are turning into Melinda! And yes, they are pretty. And, you can buy them in a grocery store and let someone else do the work or you can just eat CHOCOLATE!