Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Bourbon Reds


The Bourbon Red Turkeys are four months old now.
They are getting more adventurous on their outings and get along with the
young hens they've grown up with very well. Put them with the adult chickens and it's a different story!! YIKES!! The largest Tom thinks he needs to boss the others around, hen or rooster...he doesn't care! So, no more freedom with the other birds!

Have you ever looked at a turkey close up? I'm mean, other than the breast
and the drumsticks! The big Tom is very funny looking! He puffs himself up
- "I'm the big bad turkey!"
He's very pretty when he does this. His head turns a purple blue,
like he's holding his breath.
Maybe he is?? Take a look! You can see me with the camera in is eye!
The fuzzy thing is his ear!


I'm always amazed at how 'reptilian' they look.
If you've watched Jurassic Park (the movie), they've obviously used bird
calls for the dinosaurs sounds.
Or...are the birds making dinosaur sounds?

HUM?????


Here's the top of his head.

Crazy bumpy huh?? Another ear shot.

If you didn't know it was the top of a turkey head,
you'd think it was ... well, I'm not really sure.
That might have been a more interesting post.
What is it???


Finally, the bead and snood.
I always wondered why show dog people called those ear cover things on spaniels, snoods.
Now I guess I know why. Wait....I'm still not sure why!
What the heck!! G

The snood is a fleshy appendage that attaches just above the beak. When the tom relaxes, the snood is short — maybe half an inch long. When the tom struts, the snood engorges with blood and extends to hang down over the beak. According to the National Wild Turkey Federation, the snood has no known function.

I'm going to just have to trust the NWTF on this one. It is very weird looking.
Sometimes I wonder how the heck he breathes!!

5 comments:

Marsha K. said...

I can't believe how big they are getting!!! Great shots!!

Got Syzygy said...

I used that cute little Macro Lens. If you click on the picture they get quite large and the detail is scary. Kind of creepy even.

Anonymous said...

You need to go take pictures of scenery like Melinda did or of pretty petunias like Marsha did. These creep me out! What time is dinner?

Got Syzygy said...

Oh Rilda, Like you'd eat one now that you've seen it! You're all TALK!! VBG

tervnmal said...

Fascinating pics. I think they are making dinosaur noises.