Sunday, April 12, 2009

Ditch Burning Day!!!


Need I say more??


It's Ditch burning day!!

Need I say more! Talk about one of my favorite times of the year. The smoke, the fire, the snapping of the grass, the burning of the eyes, the use of rakes and shovels....fun fun fun!!!!

If this is my favorite day of the year, it's one of Bill's "least" favorites. The smoke, the flames, the burning of they eyes.....well, you get the idea!

Our ditch burning was very controlled yesterday and quite honestly very boring. It more fun when it takes off with a mind of it's own and is done in 30 minutes. Okay, so there's the yelling, screaming and cussing that goes along with burns like that.....maybe that's what I was missing? G

There wasn't much wind yesterday, so we could easily control the fire and burn exactly where we wanted too. You had to "pick it up" on your rake at times to move it to the next bunch of grass. A number of times I told Bill I was "bored" and he didn't really care. While Bill would rake up and burn one patch at a time, I generally had 5-6 good patches going. Bill was obviously WAY FAR AWAY from me. He mentioned, Dangerous, Insane and Stupid to me several times.

So, I wonder where Bill is today?????


Oh, don't be silly. He can't get off THIS EASY!!!! G

I wanted to move my "tiger eye" bushes. I really like them, I just didn't like where they were. I tried to move them a few weeks ago, but the frost line was still about one foot down, so it was "no go". Yesterday was a perfect day, so we dug them up as carefully as possible and moved them out to the north corner. It will be a couple weeks before we know where they will survive.

Above is where they were and below is a picture of them in the fall. They sure are Purdy.



After these were moved we went on to move some sedum and hosta away from the fence line. Holy cow!!! We only completed one fence line yesterday and have several more to go. We're moving it 2' off the fence and giving it a 2' spacing. I'm hoping this will prevent moves in the future. Bill keeps asking, "Are you sure this is where you want it?" My reply is as of today....yes, subject to change. He doesn't like that answer much. G

What a great day to be outside!! I'm hoping for much the same today!! I think the wind is suppose to pick up however. I need to get the baby bird pen set up as we're getting some chicks and Turkeys next week. I believe they are due to hatch tomorrow. Chicks are always fun and I've never had turkeys before, so looking forward to that.

2 comments:

Marsha K. said...

hmmmm... so will Bill be in class on Wednesday???? G

tervnmal said...

Now I want to dig things up.

At least we know Bill is not in the neighbor's corn crib.