Wednesday, January 14, 2009

HOME ALONE!!!

We got about 6" of snow last night. The light pretty fluffy stuff that looks like diamonds in your head lights and causes "white out" conditions for those you pass. It was a little "Western" getting to work this am, but we "got'her" done.
I took the 4X4 pick up and Sal took his trusty Dodge Grand Caravan, "It".


<<<>>>

During the day the winds picked up from the NW and proceeded to blow said snow (along with the 4-5" we got Saturday morning) all over the place. Getting home on the highway wasn't a problem. It's when you hit the gravel that it gets "ticklish".

Of course, I have the truck, so as long as the snow is below the top of the cab, I'm GOING FOR IT! It's actually rather fun, truth be told, but at 20 below outside, it's NOT the time to be walking home. So I called Sal at work to suggest he stay in town, which he did. So now I'm......

HOME ALONE!!!!!

I can run around naked (TMI), play Rob Zombie and Biggie as loud as I'd like and eat whatever I want!!!!!


Everything was going smoothly.

I'd feed the dogs the T-bone steak in the fridge that I'd been waiting to make into dog treats. Made my supper, hot chocolate, two cinnamon rolls and some circus peanuts. Grabbed my lasted book and sat down to read. Moaning Myrtle (the toilet) wasn't frozen when I got home and I was mentally thanking Sal for stacking those extra bales of hay on the west side of the house. Yep, we're Country Redneck and PROUD OF IT!! They look so purdy there up against the house, it just adds that special something. It's all in the details! G

I'm really tired, so I figure I'll try to turn in around 7. I head to the restroom and flush. CRAP, no, not me!! Moaning Myrtle is FROZEN!!! So I have to trudge down our basement stairs and hook up the space heater. I did this all on my own, now I know the real reason Sal stayed in town!!! (Actually, the real reason is so he can order PIZZA!!!!!)

Luckily, it only takes a few minutes and her arteries are clear, and she's breathing on her own. I, of course have to come up with some type of mechanism so that I don't have to get up every hour to flush. Myrtle's innards don't allow you to just adjust the float so that the water runs all the time, you have to get creative. Or as we like to say around here.....you have to "Farmer it UP". Sal's come up with all kinds of variations over time, so now it's my turn.

I've taken some pictures for you're viewing pleasure. Given a one cup measuring cup and a little duct tape, I was in BUSINESS! As someone recently told me, "If you can't duct, "F" it". I'm sure that's on a bumper sticker somewhere??





The cup is gently covering the ball. Cradling it with loving kindness in order to allow just a trickle of water down the pipe.









A closer view shows the actually measurement lines and is that a dog hair on top!! EEEEWWWW!!!! Obviously we should have gotten more Portuguese Water Dogs and fewer Border Collies!!!!!

Well, it's about time for me to go to bed. I'm afraid I'll need to set that alarm for once an hour, just in case. I guess I'd rather have a bit of a sleepless night than a burst pipe.

Meanwhile, our neighbor Alan is busy cleaning out our lane. Hopefully he'll open up the road a bit too. The ditches are so full you're never quite sure your actually "on the road". The down said of Alan doing such a nice job is I think the "paid maintainer" does our gravel last, figuring that it's already been cleared.

May your toilet always flush and your neighbor always plow your lane!!

SWEET DREAM!!

1 comment:

Marsha K. said...

and the pizza was delicious!!!