Friday, April 11, 2008

Meet Fulton and Portman - Rouen Ducks


Fulton (Left) Portman (Right) - yes you WILL be expected to be able to tell them apart!

Tracy's dream in life was to be able to have a duck for Easter. As a child she was able to have chicks, but never allowed the pleasure of owning a duck. So she asked early this year if she got A duck, if I would take it once it got messy. I told her sure and I figured ducky would arrive on day TWO!!! G

When Tracy went to the farm supply to pick up her duck, the "duck trader" told her that they do better in pairs. So of course being a good duck consumer, she brought home two. Apparently thinking that I wouldn't notice. She was able to celebrate Easter with her ducks and her niece named them. (I'm pretty sure this is the same niece that won't let Tracy shave Sidney's bum). Anyway, Fulton and Portman are named after the ducks in the movie "The Mighty Duck". I'm not sure if these are good names or not as I've not had the privilege of watching that movie yet.
I must admit, Tracy did a good job socializing her ducks. She handled them daily and let them watch TV. She became the ULTIMATE in 'duck whisper' standards. She's still unable to determine if they are girls or boys however. I think she missed that day??

What is a Rouen Duck anyway?? Here's the description I found.....(BTW - Tracy didn't even bother to look up their description on the Internet! Talk about a irresponsible duck buyer!!)

The Rouen duck is a heavyweight breed (Means they eat a LOT) raised primarily for decoration (they really aren't that pretty) or as general purpose ducks, (Means for EATING!!) since they are not prolific egg layers. (Means they eat/poop/drink but give NOTHING BACK) The breed originated in France (this answer's a LOT) sometime before the 19th century.

There's your bit of duck history. They will be integrated into our mix of ducks this summer after they've grown up a bit.

No comments: