Saturday, April 5, 2008

Don't Panic!!! 3 weeks and counting....

I took Seeker out running with me this morning. I haven't "run" outside for a LONG time!
We had a game plan - run to the highway and back without walking, 3.5 miles.
We had a plan......and I learned a LOT!!

Seeker and I start up the lane to the road and our little side kick, Cougar, (the kitten) thought he was coming too. We just couldn't deter him, so I had to pick him up and put him in the building and make a RUN for it!! How said that this little cat is more bidable than most dogs I know. G Seeker and I escaped to the road.

So we start off at a moderate pace, heading East. Alan's sheep are out in the pasture and the next thing I know they are trotting over to the fence to see us!! They must have trotted along with us for 100 ft or so, it was rather funny.

Thankfully our start was downhill. Of course what comes UP must go down, so before long the direction was going to change. My determination started to waver, I looked ahead and BOY did that highway seem a LONG way off. So I thought to myself, if I can just make it to the 1st stop sign we can walk a while.

We made it to the stop sign and so I thought to myself ...(I'm just thinking, because I'm too busy worrying about breathing to actually say it out loud) ... If I can just make it to the next cedar tree we can walk awhile. Then if I can make it to the next lane, then the highway and so it continued.

We "ran" the whole 3.5 miles. I learned a couple valuable lessons. I think they can apply to agility as well. One, NEVER look at the whole distance, it looks UNOBTAINABLE!! Trust me! If you break it down into small distances, giving yourself small victories it makes it SO OBTAINABLE!!!

This got me thinking about agility, and actually the same concept applies. If you look at a whole agility course, some times it seems so overwhelming. You may have up to 9 challenges and you can get a mental thought that says, "you just can't do it". But if you break your course down into small segments it doesn't seem difficult at all.

The other thing I learned is it's NOT about the race. It's about being outside, running with Seeker and being able to have some quite time with my own numerous random thoughts. Okay, I must admit, I also spotted several rocks I need to go back and pick up!!! VBG

No comments: