Thursday, January 14, 2010

Dear Diary.....

It’s been 7 weeks since I’ve been in the pool.
It’s NOT my fault!

The pool was undergoing some much needed repairs for the last several weeks.
What started off as a general cleaning and painting, turned in more extensive work.
The pool was back in service on Monday 1/11 and I made it Wednesday Morning - 1/14.

The pool is AWESOME!
The lines are nice and boldly colored.
The water is pristine!
Maybe ‘not so much’ after Wed nights first “Open Swim”. G

I must admit, getting back into the pool was GREAT!
I did wonder this morning at 5 am why the heck people would venture out into the freezing cold weather, just to turn around and get pert-a-near naked, and jump into cool water! Are they nuts!! PRETTY MUCH!

I did wonder how it would go since I hadn’t swum for so long.
I had flashbacks to a year ago when I couldn’t do one lap without grabbing the side!
I did not want to have to start all over!!!

When I got to the pool and opened my ‘swim bag’ I discovered my swim caps (Yes, I do where a sexy swim cap!) were totally molded together. After a few minutes of pulling and prying I managed to get it opened enough to put on my head. Note to Self: You really should take your sweatshirt off first as the latex of the cap stick to the cotton of the sweatshirt. I look in the mirror and my cap is now ½ on, actually, this is probably an improvement! I fix my cap and try to remember which goggles I use. The clear ones or the blue ones? Hum, the clear ones look more comfortable. So I work up a glob of spit and work that into them as I walk out to the pool. Oh stop!! Everyone does it! (Spits in their goggles that is)

I jump into the deep end as I can not stand the slow agony of sliding in and then walking slowly to the deeper depths. A sharp knife cuts the quickest and you might as well just get’her done! The water temp was actually pretty darn nice, not the normal cold shock from hell!

I start lap number one. Oh, this is so nice to be swimming again. Oh crap, my goggles are leaking! I swim the length back to the shallows with water washing over my eyes at breath. HOW ANNOYING! I stop in the shallows and tighten my goggles. Now that I think about it, I think these on the ones that tend to leaks. They won’t after I tighten them up a couple inches!

I start lap number two. Good golly these are TIGHT! I’m getting a head ache and they are still leaking!! Fine! I swim another length to get back to the shallow end of the pool and get out. Wilma asks if I’m done already!! She’s laughing. I tell her I need to get my ‘non-leaky’ goggles. She understands!

I get by nice blue ones and they are PERFECT!! Except for the ring they’ll leave around my eyes for four hours following the swim! Talk about bags under your eyes!

I proceed to swim 28 more laps at a decent pace. I sure wasn’t setting any records, but I finished and today, that’s all that mattered! I’ll get faster again and I realized I really did miss the swimming.

It was great to be back in the pool!

3 comments:

tervnmal said...

So that's where you were when I was e-mailing you at work this a.m. - splashing around in the tropics! I think you exercised enough for both of us, thanks, now I can sit in my chair tonight and not feel guilty.

Marsha K. said...

LOL - all I can think of is Dory in "Finding Nemo" - Just keep swimmin' swimmin' swimmin'!!

Anonymous said...

Good job you!