Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The World's WORST Hotels

Lets face it, if you're reading this, you've probably stayed at one!

I've been unfortunate enough to have stayed at MANY. That's what happens when you are CHEAP!! This is also one of the reasons I've taken up camping or sleeping in the van at Agility Trials. The hotels are not only expensive, they are NASTY!!!!

Let me first clarify that a "bad hotel" can not be considered the WORST just because their continental breakfast doesn't meet your standards. My standards consist of Frosted Flakes or better yet powdered doughnuts!!

So, let me tell you a little tale about a friend of mine, Connie and our stay at a Knights Inn in Wentzville, MO. This was a few years ago. Okay, so it was Thanksgiving weekend in 2003!
I can remember it like it was YESTERDAY!!!

This was an e-mail I sent to some friends the day after we returned. As a side note, we did go back in 2004, but we did NOT stay at that hotel. G
=============================================


Well, cheap is good.....cheap divided by two is even better....however.....I suppose there are limits to what people should have to put up with??

Friday evening around 5 PM we arrive at our hotel,exterior exits are always a plus and Connie goes to check us in. With a total of $71.26 for two nights I don't suppose we should have expected much.

It was cold on Friday and although the arenas were heated, I don't think they were pre-heated before we got there, so when we were done for the day we were looking forward to a warm hotel room. Well, it was obvious they didn't pre-heat that for us either.

We entered the room and did an initial investigation. The furniture all matched (although a piece was missing according to the imprint in the carpet), the room was big and had two queen size beds.

Connie graciously took the "murder's bed" (the bed closest to the door) since she had the two attack dogs and the chain was missing off the door and the inside lock didn't work either. The bathroom was GROSS!!! More on that later....

Now for the heat.....hum, it consisted of the normal box register with the black grids (they were rather greasy looking) and the turn dial with the gold plate with hot and cold. Only one problem, the gold plate didn't have any writing on it. Okay, the letter "H" was scratched in the plate with a nail (probably rusty) so Connie turned the dial to "H" and we left for dinner.

Returned from dinner, and thankfully the room was warmer, however now there was a bit of an odor. Now, we knew why they kept it cold!! Upon further investigation the wall paper was separating in spots and there were spray splatter patterns we didn't even want to make a guess at what they were.

The bathroom...OMG!!! Connie and I are both bath people, but there was NO WAY we would put our bodies in that tub. In fact, showering was iffy. I have never seen a tub so gross!!! I took a shower.....lovely pressure, terrific hot water!!! (Probably because there were 3 other rooms being used in the whole hotel!!) Wait.....did I put the drain plug in accidentally?? Nope, you guessed it....the tub drain was plugged!! Luckily it does drain all the way out when your done (give it 10 minutes). By the time you are done the water is only mid calf! YUCK!! When you wash your hair you know how you tilt your head up?? Well, bad idea!! The light bulb and fixture in this bathroom was beyond disgusting!!! It had gold/yellow gunk in it. NASTY NASTY!! There were two towels, they looked like they were stolen from the Super 8's dumpster. I thought I would be nice and take the smaller/thinner one. You would think Connie would appreciate the gesture?? OH NO!!!! She was complaining the next day that I left her the crappy towel.....I tried to defend myself, but to no avail. Apparently her towel had a big hole in the middle of it!!! LOL

The carpet...to look at it, it wasn't so bad. But take your shoes off and your socks stuck to it. Not sticky as in gummy, more Velcro like. The dogs were NOT allowed to lie on the floor. We left our shoes on whenever possible!

As we are going to climb into our separate beds to watch TV, Connie pulls back her sheets to discover black hair in her bed. I about died laughing, she tried to blame Kruz, but NO WAY!!! It was pubic hair!!! VBG Connie was a good sport and climbed into bed anyway.....

As we are watching TV, Connie pulls out her Vicks. She's had a cold and starts applying a liberal dose to her nose. She leans over and asks if I'd like some. "No thank you, I'm fine." I said. She says, "It blocks out the smell of the room." I accepted the Vicks!!! (':

The next day at the clubs hosted Thanksgiving Dinner we had fun recapping our story to all those that would listen (and could still keep their lunch down.) They couldn't understand why we'd save $15 a night and put up with all of that. Sure, we could have stayed at the supper 8 for $50 plus tax, but they didn't have near the amount of fun stories that we did!!! So if they didn't have a good weekend running what would they have to talk about!!!! I think some of them would just a soon have nothing to talk about. BORING!!

Will we go to this trial again next year?? You bet!! Will we stay at the some hotel?? It was close, it was cheap and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!!!! Probably!!!! VBG

Tammy (I hope this water drains!!)

Connie (Tell me why I left the GG at home?)

Kruz (It's not MY HAIR!)

Nina (This spot smells like.........best if I keep it to myself.)

Tori (Can I sleep in the van?)

Toddi (I'm going to make my own spot on the carpet!! PUKE!!)

No comments: