Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My Red Neck Triathlon

A couple weeks ago Carrie and I were coming home from Wentzville, MO and made a stop in Mt. Pleasant, IA. We were to pick up a bike trainer from my sister. One of her Triathlon friend's agreed to let me use it for the winter to get in shape for the June Triathlon. Being the best sister I have, (she's the only sister than I have), she brought along some nice information on getting "fit" for your first triathlon.

This provided Carrie with some reading material for the rest of the ride home.

Triathlon - .5K Swim/15 mile bike ride/5K run

First she reviewed the work out list. For weeks 1-4- requires a time commitment of 7.25/8.5/9/5 hrs of training each week. Hum, NOT HAPPENING!!! I'll give you 2! G Luckily, it says, if you miss a work out, don't worry about it. Don't double up!!! Not to worry there! I'm pretty sure I'll be missing more than one! LOL

The best news was that Monday was an "OFF" day!!! Since we were driving home Sunday, this gave me another day to get "ready". G

Then came "most helpful" part. I'm not sure I'll be able to type this all out, but I'll try. By the way, I'm counting this post as "training time". Below is a list of all the things I'll need to bring.

It's a Triathlon Checklist!

Clothing
wetsuit, zoot shirt, speedo tank, tri brief, bike sunglasses, heart monitor, race packet info

Bike
water bottles, 2 large, 2 small. car air compressor, accurate tire gauge, 2 spare air tubes, one spare tire, helmet, bike shoes, bike tools, hand tire pump, nozzle for tire stems, chain lube and cleaner, cleaning rags, electric tape, auto inflater and co2, vaseline (don't ask), 2 sided tape.

Running
warm up shoes, race flats, quick ties, jogging pants, sweatshirt, head band, plastic tub.

Swim
goggles untinted, goggles tinted, anti-fog cleanser, swim cap, magic marker (Sharpie), towels, Aurodry.

Food and Supplies (FINALLY TO THE GOOD STUFF!!!)
Oatmeal, raisins, honey, Accelerade, Endurox, power dreams (WHAT??), Gu, Hammer Gel, cliff bars or power bars, plastic spoons, disposable bowls, Band-aids, Ibuprofen (the large bottle), or not so good!

Personal

Razors, shaving cream, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, contacts, floss, toothbrush, toothpaste, spray gel, lawn chairs, body pillow, ice chest, vitamins, rubber bands, lawn chairs, bungee cords (not for MARTHA!!), binoculars and finally and most importantly....OXYGEN!! You think I'm kidding?? It's on the list!! LOL (Apparently they think I care when I look like when I'm done!)

By the time Carrie was done reading all this, we decided I'd need to use the truck and trailer to get there!

GET REAL!!! First off, I am NOT taking any bike tools!! Let's be perfectly clear, if I get a FLAT, I am FINISHED!! As far as the food goes, Gu!! That stuff's GROSS looking!

Something that started off as fun is now getting expensive. As we discussed the situation it became more clear that I've borrow a lot of stuff so far, so ....why not make a new rule? Everything for this triathlon has to be something I either already own, is free or borrowed! PERFECT!!

So here's the list I have so far. Bike (from the flood - free), wetsuit (mine - not sure I'll use it yet), biking shorts (Dawn's), Zoot shirt (Dawn's), helmet (borrowed from a gal at work), chain lube (nope, used motor oil), Bike Trainer (borrowed), shoes (own - one pair does ALL!!!), Heart Monitor - not required, if my heart stops you'll be the second to know!

I think I'll be okay. The only thing I'll need to pay for is my swimming. That's something I can't do without. It's $3 - $3.25 each time, depending on where I go and I'm aiming for once a week. I might try to go 2 times a week as it gets closer.

Speaking of swimming, I went to the city pool last weekend and there was so much chlorine that it really burned my eyes. I didn't really notice until half way through my swim. My eyes watered all the way home and I had to take a 2 hour nap just to get them to feel better. UGH! Dawn told me that I needed to get goggles and I told her I couldn't and why. I was going to ask a gal at work if her son (he's on the swim team) had any he could lend me. Of course I kept forgetting. It was just that one time and that pool. I could tell she thought I was just being stubborn. It wasn't the money, it was the point of the thing!

Well, back to the trip. When we met in Mt. Pleasant, Dawn was going to bring me her old dehydrator to make yams for the dogs. She'd forgotten it and I told her "no big deal", I'll get it next time. Well, guess what I got in the mail today? Yep, the dehydrator, with a few extras!!

Inside the box was a TREASURE of Triathlon stuff, along with 2 birthday cards. Not nice cards, G, like you should be surprised. Since my birthday isn't until July, I guess I'm getting it early!!! LOL

First thing I notice was a pair of goggles. Yep, SPEEDO!!! Brand name, I think they are tinted, so I'm screwed if I need the untinted variety!! They were on clearance for $2.86!! Regularly $10!! My sister is a BARGAIN shopper!! They also sent me an orange swim cap, an aqua belt with a little bottle attached and a neoprene pouch!! Also included, were Daphne's pedal clips. What the heck is a pedal clip? Well, you clip and strap your shoes into it so they don't come off the pedals. I'm not sure what happens if you need to put your foot down on the ground to balance your bike. Well, I'm pretty sure I know what happens and it AIN'T PURDY!!! LOL

The last thing that was included appeared to be present for packing, but I think it actually has another use. I was mentioning that the bike seat is really hard and uncomfortable. What did she send? BATTING!! You know, fabric batting!! I guess I'm suppose to wrap it around the seat and "soften" it up a bit. G

So, I'm set! Of course any time you get new toys you want to try them out right away!!!

THANKS Dawn, Chris, Daphne and Vaughn!! You're the best!!!



1 comment:

Marsha K. said...

Heart Monitor - not required, if my heart stops you'll be the second to know!


ROTFLMAO!!!! I am sooooooo going to be there with my camera!!