Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Monday Night Excitement!!

It's a normal Monday night. We have agility class until 730, get home around 800. Check e-mail, read a book and off to bed by 930. That's actually kind of late for me!

So imagine my surprise when Bill wakes me up in a loud stern voice saying, "Your wood piles on fire"!! Get up NOW!!!! It's now 1030 and I was actually getting some REM sleep!! RATS!! FOILED!!

I'm still not understanding what he was saying. So I start asking questions, which makes Sal even more agitated. Your burn pile, it's on fire! HOW? I don't know, but you need to get up. Why? Cause it's HUGE and people are coming. WHAT? People are here? Yes, get up!!! So I look out the bedroom window and sure enough, there's a FIRE!! WOW!! It's huge!! Tail lights too, yep, someone is here! CRAP!!

So, now I'm totally awake! I just have on a T-shirt (sorry for the visual) and toss on my coveralls, hat, boots, gloves and out the door I run!! It was in record time....I should have been a firefighter!! All I was missing was the pole! G

Now I'm running out to the wood pile. Wait, it's NOT OUR WOOD PILE!! It's at Jesse's house! UGH!! So I holler at Bill (who's not even out of the house yet), that it's at Jesse's. It's about 1/4 of a mile from us as the "crow flies".

We watch as more and more flashing lights appear, nothing like pitch blackness to show off the red, white and blue flashers!! The fire is HUGE!!! We can't tell at first if it's the house or the barn. Fortunately, no one has lived there in over 8 months and there's not any livestock, but yikes!! The fire is impressive and it's amazing how how high it is.

I run back to the house and grab my little flip video recorder. Cars are now coming out of the wood work, circling around the gravel roads like a bunch of buzzards. That part was rather comical. Nothing like excitement in the country on a Monday night!! I'm not sure if they saw the flames or everyone in the county has a scanner? It's hard to tell.

Alan, the neighbor drives down to get a closer look. He farms Jesse's land. He returns a bit later and the fire's height as really dropped. I can only imagine how hot it was. We can tell now it's not the house! TG! So we assume it must be the barn. Alan leaves again with his hold tractor with a bucket attachment. Hum......

It's not near as impressive 15 minutes later and I return to the house to go back to bed. The following morning Bill drives over to see what burned. Turns out it wasn't the barn either. It was the corn crib that's on our side of the road. Alan when up to pull some of his implements away from the heat.

Thankfully, no one was hurt. A this time they are suspecting arson. What a waste!!!




No comments: