Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Freezers are FULL!!


As the temperatures moved into the 30's and 40's, our outside freezer, has come to an end.
Not that I'm sorry to see winter end and spring come! I wasn't however looking forward to finding room in the freezers for the remaining deer parts - AKA Dog Food.

We do count ourselves lucky for the cold winter. Winters past we have seen abnormally high temperatures in January/February, sometimes pushing into the 60's. Those temps this year would have been truly a nightmare for us. Visions of calling family and friends to see if they'd have room for a deer leg or slab of ribs would have been more then some of them could take. Where's video conferencing when you need it!

Thus, Saturday found us rearranging our two freezers, one of which is 'suppose' to be the 'human's freezer'. (Please note - I'm not implying we keep Humans in there!!)
US mere 'Humans', ended up with one shelf at the top of the smaller freezer, and enough room for a four loaves of bread. It's not hard to see who takes priority in this household!

The freezers are now officially jam packed. So much for the one inch rule!!
You know, the one that says you should leave one inch around the sides and top of your freezer?
I'm sure the dogs will make quick work of it. I did take 30 more pounds of deer trimmings to the locker to have some deer jerky and brats made. Hey, that's 30# less that I didn't have to find room for! The locker said it might be April before the brats are ready, I tried my best to look disappointed. We have several more bags of nice deer trimmings that the dogs may never see.
We'll see how the brats turn out first.

Meanwhile, the hens are laying like crazy again! So, it's time to boil and freeze those eggs as well. Did you know you can freeze boiled eggs? Hey, it works! The dogs don't seem to mind.
The grocery stores seem to be running sales on chicken hind quarters like crazy. I'm sure it's a conspiracy since we don't have room to store them right now. I can't complain, the dogs have been living off this deer since Christmas time. I can only hope next years hunt goes as well.


4 comments:

Lindsay said...

My dogs are totally jealous!! It's been quite a while since they had some nice venison in their meals. I really do need to encourage my dad to hunt more!

Marsha K. said...

Holy cow - that's a load of meat!!

tervnmal said...

You can freeze boiled eggs? Cool! I'll have to try that!

Heaven forbid your totally jammed freezer ever . . . um . . . quit freezing . . . been there, done that . . . in August . . . oh, the memories . . .

Anonymous said...

I can't look!