Sunday, June 22, 2008

Seeker first race = 8K

Saturday 6/21/08 was the 1st Annual 8K run/5K walk/run in Newhall.

My goal was not to walk and come in under 50 minutes. We did it!

With weather permitting my plan was to run with Seeker, as it there would probably be a small entry. I asked Seeker if he wanted to go? HAIL YEAH!!! (':

We entered the 8K for a couple reasons, it's a bit longer and I wanted to see if I could do it. As well as I might actually have a chance to PLACE in a bit longer race, as most people will choose the shorter 5K. It turned out to be a very good decision as placements were for (gender) 17 yrs and under (Which I just BARELY missed! VBG) and 18 yrs and over. Thus if you don't place in first/second/third overall then you're sunk. RATS! (':

It was a PERFECT day for running, it was sunny, low 70's although a little breezy out in the open, but that actually felt good at certain times. My friend Julie was entered in the 5K run, but rats, she wasn't able to run since she hurt her knee on that trail ride a couple weeks ago. Darn ponies anyway!! (': She was there however to lend support.

I was prepared with my zip lock baggie half filled with water. Okay, so Dawn makes fun of me for this, but it's cheaper than an aqua-belt and it's lighter too! I can carry it in my hand and just switch hands as need be. This turned out to be a very good idea as there wasn't a water station on this race. The organizer stated since it was a short race they wouldn't need a water station. I suppose he's right, but with it being this time of year (it's usually very hot) and being the race didn't start until 9 am (normally they are 8 or 730 even), it would have been nice to have one. Not to worry, my baggie got me by!!! and I'd be ready if Seeker had to "go". Yes, I'm adopted!!!! (inside joke)

Seeker did a great job of staying with me. I must say I didn't run all that fast and I could of/should of, probably picked it up a notch, but after the last 5K in Marion where I started out too fast and suffered the rest of the way I was a bit hesitant. Unfortunately I started off slow and easy and pretty much stayed that way for the entire run. G

This is us right after the race, Seeker could have at least "acted" tired!!!


Another thing that might have been helpful is people at mile markers telling you your time as you pass so you know whether to stay steady or pick it up a notch. I guess I could have worn a watch, but I don't like wearing one. This is a "nit-picky" request, so not a big deal. I would have picked it up if I knew how slow I was going, but then again, it was just a nice steady pace and very easy. I finished with a smile, wasn't sucking wind and knew I could have kept going for much further. That was a great feeling since in November I couldn't run 2 tenths of a mile without walking.

Another great thing is we actually PASSED people! That was fun too. We never got passed, but then we started toward the back with the walkers since I was running with Seeker. Check out the lady we're passing, she did NOT look happy!! G

Our route was around town in Newhall, out a black top road a mile, then turned around and ran back. At that point the 5K runners/walkers headed back to the park and the 8K runners took another tour around town. It was such a beautiful morning and I had a nice time looking at every one's flowers and gardens. Like I told you, I wasn't really pushing myself. G

On the home stretch turn as we pass some 5K walkers....

As we finished I forgot to look at my time, so I had to wait until they were posted to know my time. Sorry, it was slow at 49.20 with a 10.25 pace. YIKES!! G My pace in Marion was 8.43. Oh well, we finished 3rd, we didn't walk, and um...I'm blaming SEEKER for holding me back!!! LOL

I'm not sure when my/our next race will be? Probably not until Fall and the temps are lower again? My goal next spring is a 1/2 marathon, that's 13 miles. I have no doubt I can do it now. I'm might even look at doing the "Pigman" which is a .5K swim/25K bike/5K run . So I only have a single speed bike, maybe I can borrow one!! LOL The down side of this is it's the same weekend as Ames, but 'maybe'. Or the or Dam to Dam in DSM that same weekend?

Dawn gave me an AWESOME CD to put in my IPOD - it's a Rob Zombie mix.
It is SO AWESOME!!!! So I have new music to run too!!
Who doesn't feel like running when you hear "Living Dead Girl" or "Feel so Numb"? LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kUNpyvmU7Q&feature=PlayList&p=89898A4E80735337&index=4

1 comment:

dena said...

Hail Yeah, the team brings it home!! Good job you guys and that woman does look really pissed off. I'm really amazed that you are taking to running so dedicatedly as I prefer to sit in a chair and watch people run by whilest sipping a cool beverage grateful that I saved monry to buy that comfortable chair, sippy drink and not on new tennis shoes that I would only be using to walk to the old chair i couldn't replace because of the new tennis shoes. but I am happy to cheer loudly for you from afar. Really....great job!!!!