Thursday, June 5, 2008

A MUST READ - Dog Book - Driving in The Rain

The Art of Driving in The Rain - Garth Stein - 2008

It's a story told by a Dog, Enzo. He's a very funny dog. He's very educated and watches a LOT of TV. He tells about how he doesn't think his mother loved the puppies very much as they always just wanted to bleed her dry of milk. When you see those 4-5 week old puppies this sure makes sense!!

Here's a snip-it from when his family is expecting - "I admire the female sex. The life makers. It must be amazing to have a body that can carry an entire creature inside. (I mean, other than a tapeworm, which I've had.)

Or another part where he's bitter about not having thumbs, oh the things her could do!

"Monkeys have thumbs. Practically the dumbest species on the planet, next to the duck bill platypus, who make their dens underwater even though they breathe the air. The platypus is horribly stupid, but only slightly dumber than a monkey. Yet monkey's have thumbs. Those monkey-thumbs were meant for dogs. GIVE ME MY THUMBS, YOU F'ING MONKEYS!" He has a theory about the closest relative to man is the dog vs. the chimp. You'll need to read why for yourself!

Heads up, skip the first chapter!!! You don't really need it anyway. (I suppose you do?? Maybe read it last??) Enzo is dying of old age, so unless you like that kind of thing (I don't) SKIP IT!! Luckily it's only 8 pages.

1 comment:

Thereasa said...

I agree with you on the first few pages---I almost discarded the book right there---don't need anymore sadness in my life. I'm glad I pushed through to the rest of the book. I hope it doesn't get sad at the end, but I should know soon.