Thursday, June 3, 2010

Break Out The Pain Meds!!


Last night I finally caved! Hey, I lasted 36 hours! My fingers were the size of sausages and I didn't sleep well the night before, so pass me a pill!!! Of course it's 3 something am right now, so it didn't help THAT much!!

I know, Adam and I are very lucky. He did NOT do anything wrong. It was a hole, he stepped in it going at pretty good speed. He tried to keep his balance, and just couldn't. It happened so fast, one second we're posting at an extended trot, the next we're both falling forward. The only thing I remember seeing is his terrified eye about 3-4' from me. I wonder if he saw the same look in my eye? Then we were both up, and out of the ditch. I guess we both bounce. G I don't remember landing and I don't remember getting to my feet. It was that fast. It's true, your whole life can change in an instant. We get another chance!

I'm learning what I can and can't do with one hand. The can't do list is actually rather short! I'm not fast and things are frustrating!! Such things as typing, that can drive you crazy in a short order.

Getting dressed isn't too bad. Pulling a sweatshirt over your head can be tricky. You'd be amazed how often you pull on your wrist tendons!! OUCH!!! If you REALLY need to use the restroom, you'll probably want to go ahead of me.

My hand is turning the prettiest purple, if I need to loosen the wrap today I'll take a picture. Oh, better charge the battery!!

I think the splint they put on Tuesday was too tight! You know how you can wake up with some sheet crease in you skin and it's rather painful? That's how I spent most of my day yesterday. It wasn't the wrist that hurt, it was that horrible binding sensation. I finally just took everything off, wraps, gauze, padding and splint, and put it back on looser. My Jimmy Dean's were most grateful!!

Things are definitely more challenging 'off handed'!! I can't tie my shoes, but that's okay, I rarely did anyway. I can't put a halter on the ponies to take them out to pasture. I'm also not sure how well I got my left armpit shaved. I know you really wanted to know THAT!!!

Surgery is tomorrow at 1:00 and should only be about 90 minutes. I'm sure I'll want to get out of there more than those working there! Hopefully Dr. Psky is thinking more about my wrist on Friday afternoon than his golf game! I'm sure looking forward to having that behind me!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just do what the doctor's tell you to day - that's all.

Marsha K. said...

Fingers crossed (can you do that???) for a quick and easy surgery and no golf game for your doctor!!

tervnmal said...

I am a firm believer in better living through chemistry. Take your pain meds, you've earned them!

Good luck with everything tomorrow. How much time do you get off work? For doG's sake, at least take a couple of days!

Nicki said...

Glad you both are at least relatively ok. Horsey accidents are scary-for everyone. I've had my share! And hooray for another English rider...who needs a horn?

Kathy said...

I hope everything heals well. Glad to hear the horse is OK. Take care.