Sunday, December 7, 2008

Natalie and Peach NA (Novice Agility Dog)

Natalie and Peach had a wonderful weekend!! They qualified 5 out of 6 runs and placed each time. Today she knew she needed just one leg (qualifying run) in Standard to earn an NA. I'm happy to report....THEY DID IT!!!!!

We had a GREAT time this weekend. Many people might have thought she was a little "unfocused" during our walk throughs, but she really was paying attention. She didn't want to walk more than twice! Yes, TWICE!!!! If I asked if she wanted to walk again, I'd get a "No Thank you"..... and off she'd run. Usually to find Jennifer (Sorry Meme!!!) So, I'll now laugh every time people complain about an 8 minute walk through. Give Natalie 90 seconds and she's PERFECT!!!! I almost hate to admit...she doesn't even start Kindergarten until NEXT FALL!!!

Novice has 14-16 obstacles, your courses are label with numbered cones. You walk the course to figure out your handling strategy, planning where your dog will be and where you need to be in order to be successful as a team.

Here's how we handled the situation. First I'd play "dumb" (in other words act like myself) and tell Natalie I didn't know where we were suppose to go and if she'd help me. I think she "might" have rolled her eyes at me a couple times, but I'm not sure. G

For the second time through I'd be the "dog handler" and Natalie would be my dog. Her name was "Janet" (don't ask me why???) and she was a Golden Retriever (again, I have NO idea why). So I would run the course and "Janet" would run with me. You only got one shot to get it right and then Natalie, um, I mean Janet, was GONE!!!

Natalie has a wonderful attitude. Yesterday I told her that I was a little nervous and I asked if she was. She told me she wasn't and that I should just go out there and have fun with my dog. How smart is that? She was really happy when we both got ribbons yesterday and she even picked mine up for me! Thanks Natalie!! She told me I got third, which was really good. She of course got second. I sure wouldn't want to be the one that beat the 5 year old! Luckily, she's NOT in my class.

Below is Natalie and Peaches "NA" run. I think Natalie was a little nervous today as she "knew" that she could get a title. I'm so glad they did as Natalie's MeMa (Grandma - sorry LIZ!!!) earned a NA on her sheltie too!! How fun is that!!!!

I also added Seeker's Sunday Novice run so his "MeMa" could see him run. He sets up sitting between my legs, which I thought would be WONDERFUL for being able to leave from either side. The down side is that he tries to get between my feet on the way into the ring and almost trips me! LOL Today we were working holding position and contacts. He had a great auto down on the table, guess we need to work on popping into the sit a bit. G Overall, he was a good boy.



No comments: