Monday, August 16, 2010

Bud Grafting Apple Trees

We have a Red Delicious Apple tree at the top of our lane. I'll admit I'm not being a huge fan of Red Delicious apples, but these apples are quite good. Good enough that when it became apparent that the tree was having some 'age' issues, aren't we all, something needed to be done.



As you can see, it's suffered some wind damage, resulting in the loss of some significant branches. Somehow it seems to make it year after year. Like most of our trees, it leans in an Easterly direction. I guess that's what happens when you live on the top of a "Mountain" in Iowa, and get hit relentless strong North West winds 6+ months out of the year.


So, a few years ago I started checking into grafting. There were spring grafting workshops, but I was always 'too late' to get enrolled, and they were using 'their' apple trees. I wanted to use 'our' apple tree. I finally decided that maybe I could just do it myself. Finding rootstock was my next challenge. You see, in order to get 'exactly' the tree you have, you need to 'graft' it onto another tree. Seeds will NOT give you an exact replica. Crazy huh!!

After three years, yesterday I finally acquired two M26 rootstock trees. This rootstock will give me mid sized apple trees, approximately 10' in height. If all goes to plan that is!

The first step is to cut off a newer branch from the apple tree and trim off the leaves. Like this!


From this branch you need to remove a bud. You do this with a Knife! Yes Rilda, I used your nice little orange one! The blade that can do it all! You simply make a cut across the top of the stem, then coming under the bark with the knife, you shave it off. You end up with a bud like this!



All the information needed to make a 'new tree' is in that little bud under the bark. Is that amazing or what! You leave the little stem on so you have something to hang onto. It will dry up and fall off as the bud is absorbed into the rootstock.

Next you need your rootstock and a turkey. Oh wait, just the rootstock! Turkey's LOVE APPLES and this one is a little early! She really just wants to be sure there's nothing to eat NOW!!


Next you take your knife again, and make a "T" cut in your rootstock.
You carefully open up the bark to allow the bud to be inserted.


Next, you insert the bud.


Carefully wrap the bud in tight to the rootstock.
I used a strip of plastic garbage bag and scotch tape.


Now you wait.
In a couple weeks the stem should fall off.
If all goes well the bud will be absorbed into the rootstock and in 3-4
years you'll have a fruit bearing tree!!!

With apples exactly like the ones we get now.
It's the SAME TREE AFTER ALL!
Apples like THIS!



Want more information?

Here's an interesting clip from You Tube.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG - you know you can go to the grocery store - they have apples and you don't have to do any of this work. Actually, that is pretty interesting. Hope you will give updates to see how it's going. Does Bill know you have that knife out while you are home alone??????

tervnmal said...

Call me when the pie is ready. I'll bring ice cream.