Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Busy Weekend!!!

Holy Cow, is it Wednesday already!! Adam and I just got back from the Palo horse trial ride for Julie's birthday (which is Friday). We moved up the ride due to the weather forecast which is promising rain on that day. We had a great time with Julie and Nellie. Maybe I should say, Julie and Tammy had a great time! Nellie and Adam had a couple 'eye rolling' you GOTTA be kidding moments which involved multiple water crosses and a couple questionable wooden bridges! J & T are ready to go again!

Wow, it’s just amazing what you can get done in a weekend if you put your mind to it, and your back, arms, legs, well, you get the picture! Nice weather and a ton of stuff to get done! What a great weekend to be HOME!


I started off planting some annual seeds in little containers, over 100 Zinnia, 72 Coleus, and a few vegetables (for me!!). I used the handy dandy potting bench that Bill made for me!! I spent a couple dollars on hardware and the rest we already had! Actually, the table top is porcelain from my dad’s garage. My sister spotted it and thought it would make a great potting bench. She was RIGHT! Isn’t it cute?? The two totes below have 'soil' in them. When I remove the pots on top, there's a nice work area, even a shelf!



I also potted a few Dahlias and I got an Elephant ear. I’ve always wanted one, so what the heck. You should have seen the cashier at Menard’s trying to figure out what the heck it was. It was probably because I’d put it in a ‘hardware’ plastic bag and he was a guy! Bill got a laugh out of his reaction. These beauties are planted in my portable green house, it's made up of totes with windows as lids. This way I can bring them inside at night.



I moved onto potting some of my perennials for the up coming Benton County Master Gardener Plant Sale!! It’s on Wednesday, May 19th at the Benton County Fair Grounds. All monies will be used in funding a field trip to a nursery or garden, some day? I still have a few things left to pot up, but so far I have 17 Russian Sage, 18 ground cover sedum, 8 Silvia, 5 hosta (That I have to find the name for), and a few other things…I think?


I repainted all the agility contact pieces. I’m so really for classes to start! Hopefully we don’t loose all this nice weather next week!


I also measured the East and South walls of the enclosed porch. The contractors claimed the ‘ran out’ of barn wood and needed to use the T1 for those last two sides. Well, I measured the walls and the barn wood and guess what, they LIED!! I think they were just ‘tired’ of the project.


BEFORE



So, Bill and I teamed up and removed the T1 siding and put up the barn wood without any major injuries. We did suffer some sawdust in the eyes and a couple splinters, but a little whinnying seemed to cure it.


After


I think that was all on Saturday? I started at 5 AM and got into the house around 7 PM. I was bushed!


Sunday wasn’t much improved from a work stand point. I continued to re-pot perennials,

and then made up a ‘red neck green house’.


Pretty smart huh! We’ll see if it really worked or not when the seeds some up, or DON’T! I made it from some heavy metal cylinder “tree protectors” that the former people left us! He had cattle and I can only assume these were to protect seedlings from the cattle. Since the only thing we had out here 10 years ago were Silver Maples, I’m not sure why he bothered protecting THEM!! Anyway, they are very heavy and do a great job holding the plastic down. I have to be careful as it gets almost TOO hot under there. We’re closing it shut at night and then Bill opens it up a bit in the mornings.


We made our doggie smore video. That was fun!


Bill mowed the lawn, I sprayed round up. I planted some perennials out in the North East corner of the north agility yard. Julie, Aaron and Bodee dropped by. They spent some time playing with the dogs and laughing at Tom the Turkey. He thought the reflection in Aaron’s truck bumper was another turkey. It was pretty funny.






I think we called it a night. It was a very productive weekend, but now I’m exhausted! Luckily, or not, I think it’s suppose to RAIN this weekend! Hum, maybe some painting inside is in order?


3 comments:

Marsha K. said...

jeez.... just reading that makes me tired!!! I like the inside of the porch a LOT better - good job YOU!!

tervnmal said...

Love the porch! It looks great! Maybe you can spend the rainy weekend sitting out there in a comfy chair with a good book and a Pepsi.

Spring weekends like that are wonderful - then Monday it's all I can do just to stay upright my chair at work.

Anonymous said...

Wow - that is a LOT of work. Do you need a petunia yet? They are starting to come up.