Thursday, January 12, 2012

11/23/63 - The Kennedy Assassination


A friend's Dad was talking bout reading this last Fall while he was visiting us at an Agility Trial.  He's an avid reader, like many of my friends, so we share book knowledge often.  It wasn't offered at the library as an e-reader edition yet, so he was patiently waiting for that.  Harry reads on my IPAD, GIVE IT UP HARRY!!!  (Inside joke here!!)

Then another friend was talking about it at the ICDOC Agility Trial in December.  It turns out that this is a 'time travel' book, in which Jake (aka George), goes back to try to stop the assassination of JFK.  
I like time travel books, but not a huge fan of Stephen King.  Generally you need to read the first 100 pages to get to the point, and quite frankly, I'm not that patient!  Terry assured me that someone died within the first 5 pages, so I thought that sounded like a good start.  I got on the waiting list for the 'book' version!  My poor NOOK would need to sit this one out.

It's a pretty thick book, especially if you're used to using a reader.  I also 'lucked out' and got the large print edition, so, I buffed up while I read.  It's about a thousand pages, and true enough, it started off fast.  I really liked it!!  About 2/3 through it really got slow, eye poking slow, and a bit predictable.  Then, when you finally get to 'the date', 11/22/63, it's like he can't end it fast enough. Maybe that was just me??

It was an enjoyable read.  At least I read the whole thing.  Some books are so bad, that life is just too short, so I just shut the book and move on.  I didn't use to be able to do that.  

My favorite time travel books from all time are the Outlander Series by Diana Gabladon.  I can read those over and over again.  In fact, I'm in the middle of book 5 now.....and better get back to reading as I have a thousand pages to go, and it's going to be 'yanked' from my Nook on Sunday!  YIKES!!  Oh well, I can always check it out again.  









1 comment:

Melinda Wichmann said...

It took me about 8 months to re-read the whole Outlander series last year. I considered it an exercise program since I have the last 4 books in hardback.