Monday, July 12, 2010

Native Plants!! Rattlesnake Master!

Bill took me out Saturday afternoon to see the Shellsburg Native Plants & Prairie. We haven't been there in over 6 weeks and WOW has it grown!!! I might point out here, that Bill had a motive in driving me 15 miles to look at plants. It was FOOD!!! Roy's Grocery is in Shellsburg, he has the BEST BRATS around! NO QUESTION!

Here are some of the Purple cone flowers.

Remember the "Cup Plant" from my May blog?
It's now HUGE!!
It's starting to get yellow flowers.


The 'Compass Plant' has these cool 'lace' type leaves.
At a glance, you might think it's a thistle.


As it grows, over 9' tall, it develops yellow flowers that 'follow the sun'.
(Or not??)

The story is that the pioneers would look to this plant
for direction. In the open prairie, you could easily get
going in circles.

I think Martha and I must have used
THIS Compass Plant when we ended
up in Effingham, IL!!!
It's not pointing in a clear direction.


One of my favorites is the "Rattlesnake Master".
It's leaves resemble a Yucca type plant.
Native Indians used the root as a antidote
to rattlesnake bites.

Pretty neat looking...huh?

Here's what you might have seen crossing Iowa 200 years ago.
I'm pretty sure Roy's wasn't established then. G


Later in the evening, Bill was going to do some mowing with the push mower.

SURPRISE!!!

The bagger was already in use!!
That darn Cougar!!


July has been a good month so far.
NO INJURIES!!!

My wrist is healing well,
and my ankle is feeling much better!
My ankles really are
NOT THAT FAT!!!


3 comments:

Marsha K. said...

As soon as I read that first sentence, I knew Bill had to have a movation to take you!! It was either food or he was afraid you would do more damage alone!

Got Syzygy said...

It's true!! Not to mention we were attacked by bugs the minute we got into the shade! You have to walk through a wooded area to get to the Plantings. (I ran back through it to avoid being totally drained of blood). The grasses were HIGH and Bill didn't come up into the field. He didn't even come to see the "Rattlesnake Master"!! G

tervnmal said...

Gee, what could go wrong with a plant called Rattlesnake Master! Cool pics and glad no one got hurt.

Pretty sure the compass plant would not have helped us much . . .